The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hungry yeast vs. lower attenuation yeast; achieving body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
GuitarGumption
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hungry yeast vs. lower attenuation yeast; achieving body

I have had this question in the back of my mind for a bit. So lets say I wanted to make a brew with about 1.060 OG, and wanted to finish it around 1.015.All other things being equal, what would be different about the beer if I used a yeast that naturally had the right attenuation to bring the beer to that point vs. using something like 3711 that would normally bring it much lower, and say, cold crashing the beer when it hit 1.015. And lets assume for time being that the yeasts had similar flavor profiles normally besides being drier or less dry.

Does this make sense?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption
I have had this question in the back of my mind for a bit. So lets say I wanted to make a brew with about 1.060 OG, and wanted to finish it around 1.015.All other things being equal, what would be different about the beer if I used a yeast that naturally had the right attenuation to bring the beer to that point vs. using something like 3711 that would normally bring it much lower, and say, cold crashing the beer when it hit 1.015. And lets assume for time being that the yeasts had similar flavor profiles normally besides being drier or less dry.

Does this make sense?
It makes sense but there is so much more involved in getting yeast to attenuate where you want: temperature, mash temp, grain bill, pitch rate, etc.

You could make two identical recipes and mash 3-5 degrees apart, pitch identical yeast and rate and get 2 different final gravity readings as an example.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Denny Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, but that's my point. With a yeast like 3711 you could mash almost anywhere between 148 and 158 and it would still bring your FG down super low if you didn't stop it. So what if you were loosy goosy about your mash temps and grain bill, but just used something like 3711 and kept a close eye on where your gravity was, and cold crashed it when it hit where you wanted it. How would this affect the final beer vs. controlling the gravity via mash temp, yeast rate, etc. ?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption View Post
Yes, but that's my point. With a yeast like 3711 you could mash almost anywhere between 148 and 158 and it would still bring your FG down super low if you didn't stop it. So what if you were loosy goosy about your mash temps and grain bill, but just used something like 3711 and kept a close eye on where your gravity was, and cold crashed it when it hit where you wanted it. How would this affect the final beer vs. controlling the gravity via mash temp, yeast rate, etc. ?
Mashing at different temperatures changes the FG in that more non-fermenting sugars are produced at higher mash temperatures. It won't matter what the yeast is, if there's nothing for it to go through. Attenuation level only accounts for part of the FG calculations. Unless you're using a blended pack that includes yeast AND bacteria (bret) it will only go through the sugars it can. Produce more sugars that it can't, by mashing higher, and the FG WILL be higher.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

Mashing at different temperatures changes the FG in that more non-fermenting sugars are produced at higher mash temperatures. It won't matter what the yeast is, if there's nothing for it to go through. Attenuation level only accounts for part of the FG calculations. Unless you're using a blended pack that includes yeast AND bacteria (bret) it will only go through the sugars it can. Produce more sugars that it can't, by mashing higher, and the FG WILL be higher.
+1
Very off topic, but the mash paddles in your avatar are incredible. That knotwork makes my Irish side proud. I need one of those!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lets try this again. I understand how mash temps affect fermentable sugars.

So say I brew the exact same process. The first one I use a lower attenuation yeast, such as say 65% (number doesn't matter).

I write down the final gravity. Say it's 1.018.

Second batch, same process. I use a high attenuation yeast. Say 90%.

I carefully watch fermentation and cold crash when gravity hits 1.018.

How would these two batches differ in flavor? Would the only difference be from the yeast profiles? Or is there some other reason that it is bad to crash a fermentation before the yeast has reached it's natural attenuation?

From what I've read it could be bad first of all because the yeast doesn't have time to clean up some of it's own products of fermentation...

Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

IMO, it's a bad idea to try and stop yeast before they're fully done with the wort. Besides it would be very difficult to actually stop them as you describe. Since the yeast will do additional things with the beer after fermentation is complete, you really don't want to do that.

As for different flavors, you'll get that from using different yeasts with different spec's.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Forcing the yeast to stop is different than your original hypothesis and question

I'm in agreement that you allow the yeast to do their job and manipulate desired attenuation by mash temp. Also agree that if different flavors are desired you select different yeast or for that matter alter your fermentation temperature.

If you force yeast to stop doing their job and leave fermentables, once the Tempe rises back to a workable level, fermentation will start up again and possibly cause problems in what you assumed to be a finished product

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Can you say BOTTLE BOMBS!!! I think you can, or you will if you try that out (forcing the yeast to stop before it's done).

At best, you would need to chemically stop the yeast, which means you'll have unfinished beer. With all the yeast does post fermentation, you'll end up with a lower quality product. IMO, not worth doing in that case.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Forcing the yeast to stop is different than your original hypothesis and question

I'm in agreement that you allow the yeast to do their job and manipulate desired attenuation by mash temp. Also agree that if different flavors are desired you select different yeast or for that matter alter your fermentation temperature.

If you force yeast to stop doing their job and leave fermentables, once the Tempe rises back to a workable level, fermentation will start up again and possibly cause problems in what you assumed to be a finished product
^^ This. It is very hard to stop a fermentation. The only way would be sterile filtration or pasteurization.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply