Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How's my crush?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default How's my crush?

Just got my corona style mill station set up Monday. Put about 1/3rd # through to see how the crush was. How's it look?

Comparison, Victory (I think) from brewshop on left. My MO on right crushed by my mill much finer? Look okay?

Just my crush. Too fine? Okay? Too chunky?

Thanks & Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Last edited by MVKTR2; 09-08-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I dunno, I see shredded husks and what appear to be several whole, unmilled grains in that picture. That seems like the worst of both worlds; low extraction and lots of tannins.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah you need to go finer, but don't worry about the tannins.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
MVKTR2
Recipes 

The comparison shot is probably more indicative of the crush. It's a HUGE diffference between the store crush and mine! Isn't it??? The bottom one has only 1 whole grain in it, the others are pieces/cracked.

I don't know it's got way more white than I've ever brewed with before, that's my worry. Anyone got pics of their crush for comparison... something to make me feel better?

Thanks & Keep it coming,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Holy crap I didn't realize the shot on the left was supposed to be milled grain. That's a terrible crush. Pretty much anything you do will be an improvement over that.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Holy crap I didn't realize the shot on the left was supposed to be milled grain. That's a terrible crush. Pretty much anything you do will be an improvement over that.

Exactly!!!
I've added my build to the "Fugly Corona" thread in the DIY forum. But hey the crush on the right at the top is mine... looks good? bad? I'll have to admit the one below it doesn't look that good, but I took it out of the top of a baggie(getting large pieces) then grabbed some from deeper in to get a better reference. I may try to post another pic tomorrow or perhaps just delete/ask to judge from the top. I dunno.....

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps Btw I've been getting up to 80% eff. with that crappy crush from the online shop!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the crush in the first picture on the left is unmilled grain IMO. The crush in the second is way to coarse. You have whole kernels still.

Here's a pic of a crush that is about where mine is at from another thread on the same topic.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/corona-mill-users-evaluate-my-crush-please-133814/

Old 09-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I tend to asgree. The first photo on the left cannot be crushed, because the kernels look whole. Any store that tried selling that as crushed grain would have people complaining before they left the store.

The crush photo needs to be closer, it looks a little coarse. Here is the BC crush that has been giving me and others 80% and up for a while now.

Last edited by The Pol; 09-08-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hey folks - I just brewed an IIPA (all grain) - but the OG was way too low. Everything went according to plan, ended up with slightly more than the planned 5 gallons, but should not have had this drastic of an impact. And of course, I've nailed the OG in other batches. The only problem I can think of was the grain crush - we had the brew shop do it. And upon examining the grains of the next beer we have ready to go (also crushed at the shop, within minutes of the IIPA), I believe some of you more experienced guys would say it's too coarse, when comparing to the posted pics. Any suggestions? Should I get out the rolling pin and do some more crushing in a cookie sheet or something?

I brew a lot.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDuvel View Post
The only problem I can think of was the grain crush - we had the brew shop do it.
Without a doubt that's the problem. Is this your first batch? Will they be doing all your crushing? If so lower your efficiency numbers. You could always take it back, and ask them to run it through the mill again. A rolling pin really isn't worth the effort.

Quick Reply