The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How would you handle a giant efficiency jump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How would you handle a giant efficiency jump?

So my efficiency has always been poor. I blame my technique more than anything, as people I know hit way higher efficiencies with grain from the same mill (which also happens to be a mill that a brewery uses.)

So the last two beers I made, I change my technique a bit and my efficiency jumped 11-12%. I was using my refractometer and when I checked my pre-boil gravity I was WAY up from my normal efficiency. So one of the beers was no big deal. An APA that just turned out bigger. Great.

The other was a hefe. I was shooting for close to 5% and after all was said and done I now have a 6.8% beer that's not really a hefe at all, so I am just calling it "beer". It is reasonably drinkable even though it is tart and tastes like a fruit salad.

I guess my big question is that the pre-boil gravity check worked great for an APA where I could just adjust my hops to make it bigger. What do you do with a beer where there's no bigger style? What adjustments would you make?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Add more water and make a bigger batch. Of course you might need a bigger or additonal fermenter.

Of course if your not going to enjoy the end result anyways, just dilute and throw away the extra (or save for yeast starters)

Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Agreed. Since you have a refractometer, you should be able to track how many GU's you've collected. Any leftover wort can be boiled without hops, then frozen for starters.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Refractometers rule... knowing your SG you can adjust your target OG before the boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply