Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to whirlpool with fitting, but no dedicated port?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How to whirlpool with fitting, but no dedicated port?

So I picked up the whirlpool fitting from Bargain Fittings and I think it's great. I needed a dip tube anyway and I want to whirlpool so I think it's a great idea. At this time however, I only have my main ball valve installed. I would love to whirlpool with this fitting by feeding my March pump by hanging a tube over the side of the kettle and pushing back through the fitting, but can't see how I would start up the pump with prime. Anyone know how this is done?

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
mmonacel
Recipes 

Lots of views but no takers yet. Shameless bump.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe I'm not totally understanding what you are trying to do but.....

If you have a valve installed at the bottom of your brew pot, it would gravity feed into your pump. Take the output from the pump and have it going back into your brew pot. You could try and clamp it onto the lip of your pot.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
So I picked up the whirlpool fitting from Bargain Fittings and I think it's great. I needed a dip tube anyway and I want to whirlpool so I think it's a great idea. At this time however, I only have my main ball valve installed. I would love to whirlpool with this fitting by feeding my March pump by hanging a tube over the side of the kettle and pushing back through the fitting, but can't see how I would start up the pump with prime. Anyone know how this is done?
So you want to siphon out of the top of your kettle with a transfer tube, and recirculate back into the kettle through your single valve? It might be possible. You'd need to use a funnel or something to fill the transfer tubing with wort to get it primed. Moving the end of the tube down into the kettle without introducing an air bubble large enough to lose prime might be difficult. My LG pump has no trouble pulling large air bubbles through, but I know march 809's are much more sucseptible to losing prime. Would certainly be easier to just install another valve in the kettle though. If you add a port for whirlpooling, I'd suggest making it a little higher up than the drain valve you have now.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
TRainH2o
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wouldn't reversing the direction of the whirlpool defeat one of the main reasons for whirlpooling to start with? If you go from the bottom up, it seems like you wouldn't have the same settling action as if you fed in from the top of the kettle.

Not bashing your idea, just thinking that you wouldn't get as good of a result.

Arrogant Bastard Clone
Imperial Red Ale
Blonde Ale

Fermenting
Munich Helles
German Pilsner
Mango Wine
Peach Wine

Bottled
Mango Wine
Westy 12 Clone

Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
jakecpunut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's what I use.. works great! This one is long for using with Keggles, they have a shorter version for smaller kettles..

http://morebeer.com/view_product/9147//Wort_Chiller_Recirculation_Arm_-_Option_Two

http://YouTube.com/JakeCpuNut

http://surrywebdesign.com

Fermenting - 10 G's of Speer Beer Pale Ale

Tap # 1 - Frozen Toes IPA
Tap # 2 - Nut Brown Ale
Tap # 3 - Rye IPA

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
mmonacel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRainH2o View Post
Wouldn't reversing the direction of the whirlpool defeat one of the main reasons for whirlpooling to start with? If you go from the bottom up, it seems like you wouldn't have the same settling action as if you fed in from the top of the kettle.
I'm not sure if it matters where it the whirlpool originates (maybe it does though...). In some initial tests (pumping hose water in) it created a great whirlpool flow and some debris that was in the pot seemed to come right to the center. To be determined though in a real test. The site however seems to indicate that a bottom placement is proper so I'm guessing I'll probably be fine.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
mmonacel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
So you want to siphon out of the top of your kettle with a transfer tube, and recirculate back into the kettle through your single valve?
You got it

Quote:
You'd need to use a funnel or something to fill the transfer tubing with wort to get it primed. Moving the end of the tube down into the kettle without introducing an air bubble large enough to lose prime might be difficult.
Yeah - that's my thoughts as well. I was hoping there was a sure-fire method people tend to use for this.

Quote:
Would certainly be easier to just install another valve in the kettle though. If you add a port for whirlpooling, I'd suggest making it a little higher up than the drain valve you have now.
Yeah - I was hoping to save some $ if another weldless valve wasn't necessary. I'm all for buying equipment, especially if it makes sense and makes my life easier, but I also don't want to waste money either.

Time to start playing around and see what I can make happen. I'll update here if I get success!

Thanks for the tips / help!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
mmonacel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecpunut View Post
Here's what I use.. works great! This one is long for using with Keggles, they have a shorter version for smaller kettles..

http://morebeer.com/view_product/9147//Wort_Chiller_Recirculation_Arm_-_Option_Two
Yep - I actually built my own out of some soft copper. My concern here is that it will certainly chill faster with my IC, but I think my IC will get in the way of a good cone in the bottom. I could use it alone (which is what I think you might be suggesting). Maybe just clamp it to the side of the kettle. Should fit the bill. Nice call.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

if you have a bottom valve and pump you need to exit the vessel via the bottom into the pump and back into the vessel via your whirlpool arm.

it really is that simple.

now that fitting you bought is meant to be a pick up tube is installed at the bottom, or a whirlpool arm if installed half way or at the top of the vessel.

-=Jason=-

Quick Reply