Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to use whole hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
ImperialStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How to use whole hops

My wife and I found some wild hops growing at an abandoned homestead. We don't know what they are but a LHBS said they smelled like Centennial or Cascade. We also don't know what the AA's are so just used them for aroma and flavoring.

My main question is how to best use them. Just made an Imperial IPA with them. I put them in a small nylon bag and discovered they float. Kept pushing them down with the brew spoon to get as much as possible from the hops.

Will dry hop the brew next week and wondering how to best use the hops. Can't push them down so thinking of weighting the hop bag down with a sanitized weight. Maybe I should just put them in loose as I siphon to a bottling bucket before adding priming sugar and bottling. My concern is if the hops float the beer will not absorb as much as t it could if the hops were submerged.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Carlton Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Don't have a clue but that is so cool! I live in Phoenix AZ so the thought of hops growing wild is ridiculous! Good luck! -Jake

Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

If you have any loose stainless steel fittings use one of them as a weight (sanitized of course). Otherwise marbles will work too.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 418 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

You don't need to weight them down for dry hopping. I dry hop in the pirmary now and I do gently push them down with a sanitized spoon to wet them, but that's it. Putting them in a bag and weighing them down is too much trouble and it's a pain to dig the bag out later if you're using a carbory or better bottle. You'll get plenty of the good stuff just letting them float.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

FourSeasonAngler Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
HopHoarder
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

For dryhopping whole hops I put the hops in the empty carboy and then gently rack the beer over the hops as I'm filling the carboy. We have "wild" hops growing out here as well from the 100+ years of commercial hop growing in the area up until 1997.

In Secondary:Rakau/ Kohatu (Kohatu-Jak) IPA
In Secondary: Flanders Reds
[B]Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Porter[B]

Recently Bottled:
Comet/ Belma IPA
TatFug IPA

Quick Reply