Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to use my kettles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

sounds good. make sure you account for grain absorption so you cna hit your pre-boil volume

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oops I didn't mean sparge with 3.5 qts, I meant gallons.

But 6 hours later and I'm done. My OG was 1.051. I'm pretty happy with that.

I did have a couple mishaps. My mash temp ranged from about 156F at dough in, I got it down to 152 after about 10 mins and it held there for a good 30 mins, then it went south to 148 and 146. I added some boiling water and stirred but it didn't seem to help much.

When I pulled the grain from the mashtun it weighed SO MUCH! I'm a 28 year old dude and that thing was heavy. Probably 30-35 lbs to hold in an awkward position. I held it as long as I could and I was rapidly thinking of what I could do. I had a big bowl so I plopped the grain bag in there and it overflowed. I held the bag above the bowl a few times and dumped that wort into my mashtun. Finally I gave up, and when I dunked the grainbag into the 5 gallon sparge kettle with 3.5 gallons of water in it, it overflowed! Ahhhh. Too much leftover moisture in the bag! Anyway that was my last mistake as I rigged a ghetto pulley system above the stove attached to a kitchen cabinet door. haha prob not safe but it worked.

Anyway I'm happy to report my American Amber is in the primary and ready to go! I definitely learned some things from my first all grain. All I gotta say is that was tough. It might be a little while before I try that again haha.

Peace all

DC

Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #13
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you could do the whole thing in your 9 gallon pot, no sparging at all, which is part of BAIB's appeal. sounds like you need to hit the weights a little harder. lol...

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS