New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to use an Immersion Wort Chiller in the winter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StankAle
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am already starting to plan this out. I will probably run the water into my chiller from the washer (good idea) and run the exhaust into my laundry basin to drain. This will still allow the burner to be outdoors. I just hope I can still get a boil during a chicago winter. We shall see.
I boil in the winter - not really a problem. Of course, I've never really done a COLD, COLD day. I just run the hose like I normally do. I drain right into the grass.

Being a Chicagoian, you should know that the weather changes fairly often here. I've never really had a problem with ice sticking around very long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Run the hose into you bath tub. Then you can take a bath with all the hot water you collected. Think of it as free hot water. You'll be conserving water and energy. Or save the hot water in your laundry tub and use it for the clean up.

Maybe Al Gore will nominate you for a Noble Prize. Don't forget to credit me in your acceptance speech.

Last edited by abracadabra; 11-20-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Hey, that bathtub idea is interesting -- you could also use the 1st 1/2 (the hottest half) of the exhaust water to fill up your washer - then, just turn it on and go for a warm-wash cycle! That's actually a really good way to stay green while brewing!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
Bellybuster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can also run the exhaust water back into your HLT for cleanup water

Beer me!!!!!!!
www.bellybuster.netfirms.com

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What about recirculating ice water in a bucket? I know normally people start with hose water and then shift to recirc with ice once the temp drops below a certain point to conserve ice, but if it's winter and you've got snow available it seems perfectly acceptable to start right out with ice water (err, snow water) recirculation immediately. Or, at the very least, if there's no snow yet, just bring a couple buckets of tap water outside when you first start brewing, so it'll get pretty cold by the time you're ready to chill, and use that until it seems appropriate to start using ice from the freezer.

Might be able to get away with only a couple buckets worth of water this way - come out with a bucket with a small amount of water in it, add a little snow, and keep adding more as you're able, without getting the pump stuck. If it gets full and all the snow is melted, dump a little water over into another bucket, move the pump over, and repeat.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #16
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it is cold enough to freeze on contact with the ground, do you really nered a wort chiller?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Funk, I think he's doing it without a pump. Same for me, I'm gravity based.

Tenchiro, I can vouch that it doesn't usually get quite that cold at our latitude. (I'm in Nebr., which has fairly similar climate patterns to the Chicago area).... We do have to worry about faucets freezing or burst hoses, but it's not usually a freeze-on-contact kind of thing. Unless we're in the middle of one heck of a blizzard, that is....

Nothing like the temps my friend in Saskatchewan sees though. We gripe about 10F below 0 (and that's on a REALLY cold day hereabouts). They routinely see 50F below 0, many multiple times per winter.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I run my hot water into a bucket and use it to dunk the chiller in after use to clean off the hops and gunk. I quit filling it after a few gallons because I want to clean it off with hot rather than luke warm water.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
Hey, that bathtub idea is interesting -- you could also use the 1st 1/2 (the hottest half) of the exhaust water to fill up your washer - then, just turn it on and go for a warm-wash cycle! That's actually a really good way to stay green while brewing!
I have a friend that does that. I've been meaning to try it too.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #20
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
What about recirculating ice water in a bucket? I know normally people start with hose water and then shift to recirc with ice once the temp drops below a certain point to conserve ice, but if it's winter and you've got snow available it seems perfectly acceptable to start right out with ice water (err, snow water) recirculation immediately. Or, at the very least, if there's no snow yet, just bring a couple buckets of tap water outside when you first start brewing, so it'll get pretty cold by the time you're ready to chill, and use that until it seems appropriate to start using ice from the freezer.

Might be able to get away with only a couple buckets worth of water this way - come out with a bucket with a small amount of water in it, add a little snow, and keep adding more as you're able, without getting the pump stuck. If it gets full and all the snow is melted, dump a little water over into another bucket, move the pump over, and repeat.

Beat me to it. EdWort made one. I plan on trying it when the weather gets colder:

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38235

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply