Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How soon is too soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
phecke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How soon is too soon?

Hey there everyone, my question is a simple one. How soon is too soon to make the move to AG brewing? I've been interested in brewing for the better part of the last 5 years. Since I was 20 and in college I've wanted to brew, and since then I've read everything that I could get my hands on regarding it, so I feel pretty confident that I could do AG. Now that I've graduated and paid off some bills I have the cash flow and the space to brew, and I recently just finished my second extract brew.

The first one came out great, and I have no reason to expect the second to be any different. I have done full boils for my extracts so I also have all of the necessary equipment to do AG with the exception of a MLT and hot liquor tank, and the only thing I'm not doing now in the AG process is mashing and sparging. I was only worried about the sparging procedures, but I've read the major threads about batch sparging and I'm pretty sure I can handle that.

So, do you guys think moving to AG after only two extract brews is a good idea or should I wait a bit longer to make the jump?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a lot of friends ask me to show them how to brew. They'll come over on brew day and I'll show them the ropes. The problem is, I do all grain. It's not the easiest way to jump into the hobby.

Three of the people I've taught are now brewing quite often, and all of them started out doing all grain right from the start.

I say go for it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you've got a good handle on fermentation and sanitation go for it.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can easily do AG with just a large fine-mesh bag added to your current equip; should run you < $10 easily.

There's no real reason to delay, unless you really want to focus on some other aspect of brewing for a while. But I'd recommend doing at least one partial mash first--that'll introduce you to the basic processes, but with half your OG coming from extract it won't be as big a deal if you get poor efficiency on it. After 1-2 of those, you'll have a little more knowledge of how to move on to AG.

I did 4 extract brews before doing my first PM. Brewing good beer is mainly a matter of getting your reps in to dial in the process and trying to learn as much from every brew as possible. If you're comfortable with the mechanics of the process, there's no reason not to start getting your reps in on mashing/sparging too if that's what you want to do!

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
phecke
Recipes 

I really do think I have a good handle on fermentation and sanitation. I have my most recent brew (an ESB) sitting in the primary right now in a converted mini-fridge. Airlock was bubbling away after only 6 hours (I used a 1L starter and a homemade aquarium aerator) and temp of the bucket is holding at 65 degrees. Brew days went just about as smoothly as possible too.

If I can work up the courage and get to building an MLT, I'll probably make the switch soon. Thanks a bunch for the quick replies, if anybody else has a suggestion or two, I'd love to hear them.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
DizzyPants
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wish I had gone the route to begin with. It really isn't that hard. Just some good reading. I had to look up strike water and all that and after that boom. I did about 10 extract batches and have seen my quality grow since moving up. The required equip is a cooler, propane burner and a larger pot. I am doing AG in my condo and it isn't that big. Make the move, ask the questions and do it. We will help.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

My second brew was AG, and my own recipe from scratch, to boot. It actually turned out pretty well. Not great, or life changing, but enjoyable enough, with no glaring flaws and a couple of nice aspects. Make the jump when you have the equipment, desire, and knowledge each in good enough quantity. Reading over a good book helps, and asking questions here will sure help as well. It's really not that difficult, mainly just more time intensive (especially at first).

Old 07-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
xybreeder
Recipes 

I did 3 extracts and then made the jump to AG this weekend & I just noticed fermentation/woot! GO FOR IT (John Palmer & HBT are your friends!)

No beer.. will ever be our beer...
For those about to brew... WE SALUTE YOU!!
Bru Dat Beer Club Co-Founder

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

you'll need a wort chiller too, but definately go all grain. its like fresh squeezed juice instead of concentrate. i did 3 extract batches before i switched.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg388 View Post
you'll need a wort chiller too, but definately go all grain. its like fresh squeezed juice instead of concentrate. i did 3 extract batches before i switched.
Since he's already doing full boils, there shouldn't be a difference in chilling needs just switching from extract to AG.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply