Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How small is too small (brewpot)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
ChefJoeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How small is too small (brewpot)

I have been brewing for over a year now with partial, but am thinking about making the move to AG. I am going to build my own MLT from a couple of 5 gallon Home Depot coolers ($22 each). The main thing that has kept me from going to AG is the space needed. I don't have room in my garage to do the set-up I would like and my kitchen is pretty small with electric burners. I have a 3 gallon brewpot right now. Should I have to upgrade to a larger brewpot or could I tweak the recipes to work with my current pot? I just don't know if the electric burners that we have are efficient enough to brew with a 6 gallon brew pot. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

For stove top brewing, including stovetop ag I've managed for years with a 5 gallon pot I got at family dollar for 10 bucks. It's stainless even. My stove can handle a 3.5 gallon preboil volume, which I then boil down to 2.5 gallons.

A lot of my experimental batches I do are 2.5 gallon batches, but I have also posted on here how I do 5 gallon batches of all grain with the same pre-boil volume above, but topping off in the fermenter to a full 5 gallons.

You can read a detailed explanation of how to do it, here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply