New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to repeat a desired maltose/dextring ration in your mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 03:09 AM   #11
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I'm confused here. If you can't hold the temps steady on an infusion mash, then how do you hold the temps steady on a step mash? Seems to me that you have a couple more steps in which to vary your temps in.
It's not about holding the temp steady... the cooler does a fine job of that. It's about getting the temp right in the first place. Sometimes it's too hot so I throw in some ice then wait for the temp to stabilize and lo.. it's too cool now so I throw in some hot water and wait again.. hopefully I've got it right at this point and even if I do I've probably wasted 15 minutes screwing around. Anymore I just don't bother with the particulars in an infusion mash.. if it's in the range then it's fine with me. Next time though I'm gonna try a decoction or three.

Kai, yes the temp is more of a range in a step mash but I still worry that I'll miss the range entirely. I'm just not quite sure what effect adding a third of the boiling hot mash back into the tun will have - knowing exactly how much it will raise the temp at a given temp is probably a product of experience which is something I don't have yet. Since you've done it (and sucessfully I presume) you know what to expect and know if its easier or harder than an infusion mash. Frankly though, I expect that it will be harder or else we'd all be starting with decoction mashes. Now, for a pro it does offer more control and, probably, more consistency but as you can tell I'm no pro. Heck, I'm happy with the control AG affords me over the extract brewing methods.. that was definitely a big step up!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #12
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Kai, yes the temp is more of a range in a step mash but I still worry that I'll miss the range entirely. I'm just not quite sure what effect adding a third of the boiling hot mash back into the tun will have - knowing exactly how much it will raise the temp at a given temp is probably a product of experience which is something I don't have yet. Since you've done it (and sucessfully I presume) you know what to expect and know if its easier or harder than an infusion mash. Frankly though, I expect that it will be harder or else we'd all be starting with decoction mashes. Now, for a pro it does offer more control and, probably, more consistency but as you can tell I'm no pro. Heck, I'm happy with the control AG affords me over the extract brewing methods.. that was definitely a big step up!
I use Beersmith to calculate the volume of the decoctions and always add 1 to 2 qts to compensate for evaporation and other factors. It's always easier to cool it down with ice than heating it up with boiling water. And for boiling water you will need another pot.

So far, it wasn't that hard to hit in the temp range. But I miss by 1 to 2 C (2..4F) most of the time and have to correct.

One interesting fact about decoctions is, that they were invented when thermometers weren't available yet. By boiling a predetermined amount of the mash and mixing it back in, brewers were now able to repeat the temperatures of their mash rests more reliably. But now that we have good thermometers, this is not why decoction mashes are still done.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply