The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to pick fresh hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
ImperialStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How to pick fresh hops

Awhile ago I posted asking how to know when hops were ready to pick. No one seemed to know the answer but found this YouTube video that answers those questions. Thought I'd share it here for anyone brewing with cultivated or wild hops.

We harvested enough hop cones to fill an empty case of beer box. Thought we had enough hops for 5 or 6 batches. Turns out after drying we netted 5 ounces of hops, enough for one batch. My advice is if you are harvesting wild hops, pick all you can hold of.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Great info. Thanks for sharing

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tons of information in the "Hops Growing" section of this website also, I have 20 hop plants, 10 varieties growing in my back yard and I've learned everything I know about growing and picking hops through this website.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Im with ya, i went to someones house as they wanted me to pick some and could have em just had to give em a bottle of whatever i made...

I realize i went in way too discriminatory, at the end of about 1:30 picking, another 30-45 mins cleaning and getting them on the screen to dry i ended up with 10oz of hops which is a good amount, but there were so many left on the plant.

This next weekend when i go out im just going to grab them by the handful and throw them in a bag and sort/clean them at home.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I grow some of my own hops and pick them when they start to get a little papery on the outside (about right from what I know). The normal wet:dry ratio is about 4:1 depending. So if you pick a grocery bag full of papery hops, you will get 12-16 ounces dry.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Quick Reply