Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
AlkiBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How much water?

I'm getting ready to brew my first AG batch (Anderson Valley Winter Solstice clone). I'm trying to figure how much total water will be required. The grain bill is 15 pounds, brewing a 5 gal batch, 60 min boil. I know the grain will absorb approximately 4.9 gallons, based on 1.3 quarts per pound. I'm going to batch sparge, using a Coleman cooler converted to mash tun. I'm a bit foggy on how much additional water above and beyond the 4.9 gal the grain will absorb. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Terry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4939 Times on 3578 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkiBrewing View Post
I'm getting ready to brew my first AG batch (Anderson Valley Winter Solstice clone). I'm trying to figure how much total water will be required. The grain bill is 15 pounds, brewing a 5 gal batch, 60 min boil. I know the grain will absorb approximately 4.9 gallons, based on 1.3 quarts per pound. I'm going to batch sparge, using a Coleman cooler converted to mash tun. I'm a bit foggy on how much additional water above and beyond the 4.9 gal the grain will absorb. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Terry
You will NOT absorb 4.9 gallons in the mash!

You should absorb about .125 gallons per pound of grain- and use about 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain in the mash.

Since you've got 15 pounds of grain, here's a good way to do this:

Mash in with 20 quarts of water (1.33 quarts per pound of grain). Stir well, and check temperature. Have some boiling water handy, and some ice cubes, in case you miss your temperature, but if you're within a couple of degrees, don't worry.

When the mash is over, you should get out about 3-3.2 gallons of first runnings. Measure them to make sure. Then use 3 to 3.5 gallons of sparge water to get to your boil volume, assuming you will be starting with 6.5 gallons of wort.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
AlkiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yopper, thanks for the info I appreciate it. I'll be brewing with your numbers tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS