The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How Much Trouble Am I In?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
stewart194
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default How Much Trouble Am I In?

I was brewing a batch of beer today and everything was going along great...until it came time to cool the wort with my wort chiller. I tightened the water hose connection a little too tight and it broke off. I didn't have a way to fix it, nor was I able to go fetch ice....so I just had to let it sit and cool on it's own.

It took 5 hours to get down to 100, then I transferred it to my glass carboy and put it in the swamp cooler.

How much trouble am I in? I know the beer won't be clear, but I'm not worried about that. I had the lid on my brew kettle the whole time and am hoping I don't get an infection. I'm also worried about DMS and the off flavors that is causes. I read it's more of an issue with a beer with Pilsner Malt, but this is a simple Wheat beer with 2-row and White Wheat.

What do you think? What are the odds that I'll get a beer that tastes like creamed corn?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

My guess is that the beer will clear nicely (as much as any wheat beer) and you will have a very good one. There are a lot of brewers who do no chill - let it cool over night then pitch.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 61

"It took 5 hours to get down to 100, then I transferred it to my glass carboy and put it in the swamp cooler."

Next time bring it inside, have your wife sit there and stir it while you go to the store for some ice.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've used the kitchen sink before filled with ice. Got the stink eye from the SWMBO and some decent beer.

I think you'll most likely be ok, worse has been done before. But what's done is done, let's see what comes out! Report back to the collective will you?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
"It took 5 hours to get down to 100, then I transferred it to my glass carboy and put it in the swamp cooler."

Next time bring it inside, have your wife sit there and stir it while you go to the store for some ice.
It's SWMBO, not SWMO.

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
stewart194
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post

Ha! I tell her you said that! Seriously though, she would have probably done that, or went after ice for me while I stirred, but she was out of town. My son was napping and I just didn't think it would take that long to cool down. I have a converted keg as a brew kettle with the ball valve sticking out of the side, and I don't think it would fit in my swamp cooler. If that happens again, I will find a way to get some ice and find a container that my brew kettle will fit in. Actually, I could have transferred the beer into my old 7.5 gallon turkey fryer kettle and put that into the swamp cooler container. Oh well, live and learn.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
stewart194
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
My guess is that the beer will clear nicely (as much as any wheat beer) and you will have a very good one. There are a lot of brewers who do no chill - let it cool over night then pitch.
Thanks! I hope so! Time will tell...

Old 07-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
stewart194
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
I've used the kitchen sink before filled with ice. Got the stink eye from the SWMBO and some decent beer.

I think you'll most likely be ok, worse has been done before. But what's done is done, let's see what comes out! Report back to the collective will you?
My wife is actually pretty cool with it. I usually wake up and start at 5:00am and am done by 11:00 so the day isn't totally taken up. This Wheat beer was for her also, so she better be cool with it! Haha.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
stewart194
Recipes 

I checked it out this morning. No sign of infection yet. I did smell a distinct smell of vegetables / corn though. Not bad but definitely there. I aerated and pitched the yeast, so now I wait.

I will definitely reply to this though and let you guys know how it turns out. In the meantime, I'm going to beef up the connections on my wort chiller and make sure that never happens again.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 228

>>>"How Much Trouble Am I In?"<<<

Actually, I've been in the same boat as you and mine turned out good enough that the beer bums wanted it, and gave it good ratings.

You should be fine, it might not be the best you brew, but it should still be good brew.

pb

P.S. You might want to age it longer though.

Last edited by plumber_bob; 07-14-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added p.s.

Quick Reply