Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much is too much dead space?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Shwagger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much is too much dead space?

I am building a tun from a 40 qt max cold igloo i had laying around. it has wheels, no drain plug and a curved inside walls. The only way to get the bulkhead to fit in there is to drill the hole about 1.5 inches from the bottom. I plan on using a cpvc manifold. So is my dead space going to be a problem? (And, am I eve using the right german term to describe dead space? )

Thank you

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
MN_Jay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No problem. All you have to do is when you are mashing or sparging, just lift one end about 3 inches off the table (stick something under there to hold it) and virtually all your deadspace would be gone.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Shwagger
Recipes 

Ok. I was thinking of that and how to cut my slits in order for it to drain. Sweet.

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just add an extra elbow or two and get the CPVC manifold to sit right on the bottom.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
msheraw
Recipes 

Default Reducing Dead Space

I made a somewhat successful attempt at reducing dead space in my system. I have false bottoms in the mash/lauter tun and boil kettle. I went to a craft store and found "flattend" clear marbles to fill in some of the space. These are the things that your wife or GF might put strategically in a bowl on the coffee table. I suppose you could borrow them if that is the case.

I found that the marbles also help reduce hot break as well.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
TheLadybugTree
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheraw View Post
I made a somewhat successful attempt at reducing dead space in my system. I have false bottoms in the mash/lauter tun and boil kettle. I went to a craft store and found "flattend" clear marbles to fill in some of the space. These are the things that your wife or GF might put strategically in a bowl on the coffee table. I suppose you could borrow them if that is the case.

I found that the marbles also help reduce hot break as well.

Sorry to resurrect this thread... but why would you want to reduce hot break? I thought it meant you were gonna have some nice protein junkies etc dropping out in the boiler before transferring.

Paul
www.theladybugtree.com

Quick Reply