Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much sparge water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

ajf, how much do you lose transferring from kettle to primary? Your evaporation rate must be really small to be able to boil 6g and wind up with 5.25g in the primary (0.75g loss to evap + transfer). I'm only asking because I need a solid 7g in the kettle to get close to 5g in the primary, but I have ~20% evap rate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

All of the replies so far seem to just reiterate the methods I mentioned above. I am still curious how someone could (for example) decide they need 10lbs of grain and 12 qts of water for the mash and 16 qts of sparge water and always hit a target gravity. Someone else could decide to use 10lbs of grain, 12qts of water for the mash, 12 qts of sparge water and then top off with water to the kettle. This would lend to a different O.G. due to the different ammount of sparging and change of efficiency due to it but I have failed to see this taken into account.

I am thinking that the only way to obtain consistency would be to sparge until the gravity of the runoff is the same each time regardless of how much sparge water is required and regardless of the preboil volumes and then adjust the volumes with either boiling or make up water.

No that consistency is something I am big on since I like the diverse tastes but I would hate to think that I calculate my recipe based on a grain volume then don't use enough sparge water or use too much and end up extracting tannins. I agree that the P.H. will control this but it is my understanding that once the runoff reaches these low gravities, the P.H. will be changing correspondingly.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerNeedOfBeer
All of the replies so far seem to just reiterate the methods I mentioned above. I am still curious how someone could (for example) decide they need 10lbs of grain and 12 qts of water for the mash and 16 qts of sparge water and always hit a target gravity. Someone else could decide to use 10lbs of grain, 12qts of water for the mash, 12 qts of sparge water and then top off with water to the kettle. This would lend to a different O.G. due to the different ammount of sparging and change of efficiency due to it but I have failed to see this taken into account.

I am thinking that the only way to obtain consistency would be to sparge until the gravity of the runoff is the same each time regardless of how much sparge water is required and regardless of the preboil volumes and then adjust the volumes with either boiling or make up water.

No that consistency is something I am big on since I like the diverse tastes but I would hate to think that I calculate my recipe based on a grain volume then don't use enough sparge water or use too much and end up extracting tannins. I agree that the P.H. will control this but it is my understanding that once the runoff reaches these low gravities, the P.H. will be changing correspondingly.
I control consistency by controlling the variables. Attain the same temps for the same times during the mash, with the same amount and same types of grains. This allows me to have the same efficiency, which gives me the same amount of starch to sugar conversion, which gives me the same amount of sugars. By then rinsing with the same amount of sparge water and collecting the same amount of wort, I now have the same amount of gravity.

Maybe I am oversimplifying?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
ajf, how much do you lose transferring from kettle to primary? Your evaporation rate must be really small to be able to boil 6g and wind up with 5.25g in the primary (0.75g loss to evap + transfer). I'm only asking because I need a solid 7g in the kettle to get close to 5g in the primary, but I have ~20% evap rate.
I lose very little from kettle to primary. I drain from the spigot until it stops, then tip the kettle to get the remainder out. All that is left is about a cup of liquid, plus what has been absorbed by 3 - 4 oz whole hops that are supported on a false bottom. I probably don't boil as fast as you due to burner limitations. I used to lose more in the boil when I had a single jet burner (which boiled much more vigorously) and a shallow wide kettle. I now use a taller narrower kettle that has much less surface area.

-a

Old 02-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #15
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

One other thing I forgot to mention, I use about 1 qt of yeast starters, and that qt is measured in the 5.25 g. I also fixed my new burner, and sure enough, I evaporated considerably more this afternoon (about 3/4 g more). I sparged an extra 1/2 g so I ended up with a tad over 5 g bringing me close to BeeGees figures.

-a.

Quick Reply