Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much should I worry about water chemestry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
asterix404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How much should I worry about water chemestry?

So I am reading a ton of books and all of them say that I should work with my water profile to make the beer authentic and what not. I have good tap water, it's very clean, tastes great and I have never had a problem brewing with it. I haven't checked the ph of my mash but I am fairly sure it's not too high, should I do this?

I also read from "Designing great beer" that only 1/10 people who get into the second round actually fiddle with their water.

Basically, am I just opening up an enormous can of worms like the to secondary or not to secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Contact your city and get a water report.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
TotemWolf
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For the most part if the water taste good, it will make good beer.

If you mash then Ph comes in to the picture. Only if your water is very hard or very soft do you really need to worry even then.

Basically don't need worry about the water chemistry until you understand the AG brewing process and what is going on in the mash tun. Then get your water report and go from there.

The best brew is the brew you brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29
Everyone has their own opinion, except the alcohol, it don't give a damn.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

a ward labs report is cheap and handy. people here will give you some guidelines if you post your results as to what your water is good for, and how you may want to adjust for light or dark beers.

After I got my ward report, the most significant thing to me was how low in calcium my water is. So even if I hadn't switched to all grain, I'd have still found that information useful for the sake of providing my yeast with enough calcium.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have good water, you can either choose to look into water chemistry or not. Just be sure to look into chloramine as water can taste good despite it's presence.

But it's like anything else with brewing. It depends on how much control you want. But more importantly, it depends on whether or not you are able to make the beer you want without looking into water chemistry.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts

id give this a read: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/bre...primer-198460/

Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
That thread is a wonderful resource. Adjusting water is actually quite simple if you allow it to be (at least not as intimidating as it seems). My suggestion is to follow ajdelange's recommendations within that thread and you'll see a nice improvement in your beers.

My Brew Chart/Workbook below in my signature has TH's water adjustment tool along with ajdelange's recommendations built into it. Makes water adjustment an easy thing for the most part (once you have water profile from your municipality). It's free to download. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Oh sorry, to clerify, I do understand is going on in the mash and I do have a water report. It's nice that where I live they put it on line. I gathered that from the report I have good water with medium softness. The problem is that basically I don't honestly know if I should care about what water and just brew like normal or if this really will give significant improvement. I can spend my time playing with the water or I could spend my time doing other things beer related, like reading how to brew all of the various styles (which I will do anyway but regardless). Basically, will I see payoffs if I really research and learn how to manipulate the water chemistry?

My water report can be found here:

http://natickma.gov/Public_Documents...lityreport.pdf

I would copy and paste but it's from a pdf and doesn't really paste well. Scroll all the way down and it's on the very last page.

Thank you for the link, it is quite useful! From what I gathered I have slightly level of elevated sodium, but not too bad. What does it look like to others?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4829 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Water chemistry is not worth worrying about.

But it is worth developing an understanding.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
TotemWolf
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hardness from 50 to 150 ppm (your water based on that report) is good for most ales.

If you want to duplicate water from different areas you will need more info. The links above list some good sources for testing.

The best brew is the brew you brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29
Everyone has their own opinion, except the alcohol, it don't give a damn.

Quick Reply