The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how much priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
dcarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default how much priming sugar?

I am bottling my first batch of AG today and need some advice. I primed most of my bottles with some left over carbonation drops from an old coopers kit. I just bottled my last primed beer and still have maybe a six pack left in my secondary. I thought I woulod just spoon a little priming sugar into the remaining bottles but Im not sure how much to add to each bottle without having problems. Can anyone tell me, in common kitchen measurement,
how much priming sugar to add to each bottle?

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What size of bottles do you have?
What type of beer is it?

Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

smooth nut brown ale in 12 oz bottles

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You need one of these! From that site, is says 33ml of corn sugar per 12 oz. bottle.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I wouldn't add undisolved sugar directly to bottles. I would either go the carb drops method or just by disolving the corn sugar in a very small amount of boiling water. My rough math figures you need 1/12th of a cup of corn sugar which translates to 4 teaspoons.

-edit- That's to prime the entire six pack. I'd boil the water with the 4 teaspoons of corn sugar and add that back to the secondary, and then bottle.

Also, there are 3 teaspoons in 1 tablespoon, so if you go 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon, you'll get there faster. On that small of a scale, I'd be very carefull with the measurement so that you don't get bottle bombs.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Last edited by Brewsmith; 01-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Here is a great Carbonation Calculator. Just plug in the numbers. The amount is in gallons, and one 12 oz bottle is roughly 1/10th of a gallon. Actually it's .09 of a gallon. To obtain a carbonation level of 2.0 volumes, it would require .06 oz (1.6 g or 2/3 table spoon) per bottle.

John

Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
dcarter
Recipes 

Thanks guys,

I ended up adding around 1/2 tblspoon to each bottle. The last 5 from this batch have been segregated since they could be a little flat or in some way different form the rest. I have them in a 48 qt cooler outside for carbonation just in case one happens to go off.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
Twabe
Recipes 

Sorry for the late post, but I have always had good luck dissolving Muntons Extra Light Unhopped Spray Malt Extract at a ration of 1/4 cup per gallon of beer, heating it in 2 cups of water to about 180 and then making sure to cool it down before adding and stirring.

Quick Reply