Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how much grain and what types do most have on hand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
donjr721
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default how much grain and what types do most have on hand

just thought i would start a thread to find out how much and of what varieties of grains, hops and what not that most keep on hand. i want to start up an inventory of sorts to meet my needs. just getting into all grain and i'm hooked. i want to be able to go to my stock and get what i need and brew. not having to wait to go buy it or have it shipped.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I have about 5 pounds each of crystal 10, 20l, 40l, 60l, 80l and 120l.

I always have maris otter, Vienna malt, and US 2-row in a big quantity, with smaller amounts (10 pounds or so) of Munich malt and pilsner malt.

I have a small quantity of victory malt, special roast, pale chocolate, roasted barley, flaked wheat, flaked corn and aromatic malt on hand all the time.

For hops, I have about 10 pounds in the freezer, mostly US hops because I make more IPAs and APAs and ambers than anything else.

I can brew on the spur of the moment, and I love that! It's also much cheaper to buy in bulk. I just paid $39 for a 50 pound sack of two-row, $8 for a pound of willamette hops, and $16 for a pound of cascade hops. Often, they are $2-$3 an ounce.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
donjr721
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

cool! that's what i need to do

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Got one sack each of Maris Otter, Golden Promise, and UK 2 Row (plus 20# left from another sack of 2 Row)... I have 4# of Crystal Maris Otter, about 4# of honey malt, and about two pounds each of 45L, 65L, 85L and 120L ratings of British Crystal malt... Plus a bit of Victory left (about 6oz). I also picked up two pounds of chocolate malt, a pound of roasted barley and a pound of flaked barley to have on hand. The honey, BCM, and victory malt are crushed (from before I got my BC), everything else is whole grain. As I go through the grain, I plan to replace it with whole grain of the same type... I'm sure I'll get some other grains too, to have on hand.

For hops, I have Target, Northdown, EKG and Fuggles pellets in the freezer (just over a pound left total, I think, need to check)... I also have two ounces of whole hops of EKG and Fuggles for dry hopping. I like the UK based hops for what I'm brewing, hence the selection I have on hand.

I hope that there's another group grain buy in my area before I run out of base malt... Next time, I'll be living where I won't have an issue keeping enough grain on hand to make anything I want between group buys...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
donjr721
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

wow, i'm envious. keep em comin. i like reading all of this

Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I do my best to get my hops via online vendors these days... The LHBS sells pellet hops for $3/oz... Way too much when you compare with other suppliers. When I'm ready for more hops, I know of at least one other person that wants to know before I place an order. That way we can group our orders together and save on shipping...

It's good to have local brew-buddies.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjr721 View Post
cool! that's what i need to do
A good way to shop is to consider the 5-10 beers you plan on making, or the beer styles make most often. If you make a lot of British style ales like milds and ESBs, you'll want more English hops, malts and yeast strains. If you make more German lagers, you'll want the pilsner malt, Munich malt, and noble hops.

If you look at the recipes of the beers you plan to do in the next 8-9 months, you'll find out which ingredients you should be in bulk and which you should buy as you need them!

I always have several yeast strains on hand- for dry yeast, s04, S05, and nottingham. For liquids, Denny's Favorite (Wyeast 1450), and usually one or two others that I've washed and saved.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep at least 25lbs each of pilsner, maris otter and Vienna mats plus various specialty malts (I need to find a better way to organize my specialty grains). I have several pounds of hops, Willamette, cascade, amarillo, us goldings, crystal, magnum, citra. I also keep yeast stocked, I have 8 yeasts in the house right now. I harvest it so i save a few bucks.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
donjr721
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

excellent! gotta build my inventory!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I also harvest yeast, so that I have some on hand for batches I'm planning... It's another way to save costs, if you're comfortable with the process. It makes more sense when you're using liquid yeast than dry yeast.

I'm basically doing as Yooper suggests... Since I'm focusing on styles from the British Isles, my ingredients on hand reflect it. Plus, it's never a bad idea to have some of the basics, or standard ingredients, on hand. Just review what you plan on brewing and get some on hand. If you're buying pre-crushed, I'd go with smaller quantities at a time (maybe a 2 month supply at a go). If you have a grain mill/crusher, then it doesn't matter nearly so much. I just would get what you expect to use up within about a year.

I think many of us find a few yeast strains that become our 'standards' that we use. I like Wyeast 1728, 1084 mostly (so far)... I do have a cream ale that's been sitting on 1335 for almost a month (slated for bottles very soon, maybe this weekend)... I'll probably harvest that and use it again (a few times)...

It's not too difficult to get a moderate OG brew (5 gallon batch) cost to below $15 if you do a few things. Bulk grain buys, harvest yeast, and buying your hops from good sources all come into play... Even when I buy yeast, I can usually keep my batch costs to under $20 these days...

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply