Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much fermentable sugar will I get from pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Which type of Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
One more question: there is two types of pumpkins on the market: one is called the "pie pumpkin", it's small in size, and it's good for cooking. The other one is the "big" pumpkin, good for Halloween decorations. Does it make any difference which one I use for brewing?
The large decorative pumpkins don't have as good a flavor as the small pie pumpkins. I have roasted the pie pumpkins and then scooped the flesh out, run it through a blender and added it to the mash. I used an entire pumpkin in a 5 gallon batch with good results.

Not that it matters in brewing, but the texture of the decorative pumpkins does not make a good pie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #22
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Do pumpkins cross like peppers in the garden? You can have a mild pepper get crossed with a hot one and have a pepper come froma milld pepper bush and end up pretty spicy.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
chimchim5040
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
I have no idea on the fermentables issue, but I have done pumpkin ales with canned pumpkin both in the boil and in the mash. The one that I mashed (just a few weeks ago) has far more body and better color. And it wasn't a PITA to mash. Throw in a pound of rice hulls and you're golden so long as you go a bit slower on the sparge.

If you use it in the boil, you're going to have an assload more trub than if you use it in the mash.
I always roast my pumpkin cubes until golden brown to caramelize the sugars. It definitely tastes better that way...
I normally put the cubes into a couple of mesh bags and add to the last hour of the boil. This produces great results and super easy cleanup.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #24
chimchim5040
Recipes 

Quote:
I have no idea on the fermentables issue, but I have done pumpkin ales with canned pumpkin both in the boil and in the mash. The one that I mashed (just a few weeks ago) has far more body and better color. And it wasn't a PITA to mash. Throw in a pound of rice hulls and you're golden so long as you go a bit slower on the sparge.

If you use it in the boil, you're going to have an assload more trub than if you use it in the mash.
I always roast my pumpkin cubes until golden brown to caramelize the sugars. It definitely tastes better that way...
I normally put the cubes into a couple of mesh bags and add to the last hour of the boil. This produces great results and super easy cleanup.
This season's batch was an imperial pumpkin porter, but I didn't use any "pumpkin pie" spices at all. In fact, a tbsp of black peppercorns went in with my aroma hops instead.
I also added a medium toast oak corkscrew which I charred with a blowtorch before soaking in Maker's Mark bourbon for a few weeks. I decided to toss the oak and the few remaining ounces of bourbon in the secondary. I'm thinking 6 weeks ought to do the job!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #25
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim5040 View Post
This season's batch was an imperial pumpkin porter, but I didn't use any "pumpkin pie" spices at all. In fact, a tbsp of black peppercorns went in with my aroma hops instead.
I also added a medium toast oak corkscrew which I charred with a blowtorch before soaking in Maker's Mark bourbon for a few weeks. I decided to toss the oak and the few remaining ounces of bourbon in the secondary. I'm thinking 6 weeks ought to do the job!
That whole thing sounds really good. My wife actually tried to talk me into using a few pie pumpkins she had laying around. I wanted to see what I could do wwith supplies at basically very little cost. .......hmmmn, boil no4 in less than 2 weeks? ;-)

Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
joestrummerlives
Recipes 

Quote:
60 oz, four 15 oz cans. Baked it at 350 for 30 minutes then let it cool.
Fall is coming up, so time for pumpkin ale.

I usually only put one 30 oz. can in per 5 gallons. I think the purpose of the pumpkin is to add color, and not so much to create fermentable sugars. I think this level of pumpkin creates a nice orange color without looking bizarre.

Personally, I think that the biggest appeal to pumpkin ale is that you are essentially replacing some of the hop aroma with pumpkin pie spice aroma. I think the key should be that it tastes like a normal beer (so there is some hop aroma)... but with a twist. It should still be quaffable. My philosophy is that the drinker, if not notified ahead of time, might have a hard time placing some familiar taste (tastes like... fall?), but that it's definitely pleasing. Almost nostalgic.

I add the spice right at the end, maybe even after cooling (kind of like dry hopping). I make sure to be VERY careful not to overdue it. You can always add more, even after fermentation, but you can't take out.

I also shoot for a little higher gravity than I typically make (high 1.050's). I also use a high mash temp (68 C) to promote unfermentable sugars, and create sticky lips while drinking. :-)

I actually lost my recipe (I'm back into homebrewing after a few years off - I misplaced many of my recipes in the interim), so I don't remember the yeast I used. I guess I'll go with Wyeast 1272. Shrug.

By the way, I'm new to the forum. Hello to everybody.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
joestrummerlives
Recipes 

Forgot to mention: I add the pumpkin to the mash and have never had a stuck sparge. I can't imagine adding it to the boil - sounds like a mess!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #28
soursessons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is one sure fire way to get pumpkin flavor in beer. You can juice the pumpkin into a pot. Put a beano in there and let it sit overnight. This will convert the sugars. Then proceed to boil down to desired gravity/volume. Works everytime.

Quick Reply