Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much chalk or gypsum to experiment with?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default How much chalk or gypsum to experiment with?

I know there are people out there who do this. So I'll ask the question.

If I know I have very soft water (low hardness, but high initial pH) and efforts to brew brown ales come out tasting a bit harsh or acidic, how much either chalk or gypsum would I add to a 5 gallon batch to start to increase the hardness?

No, I don't have a useful water report. We had a massive flood with Irene and the local water supply is all fubar at the moment.

I also want the hops to shine through a bit more. Anyway, if I was to experiment, how much of either chalk or gypsum would you start adding?

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I don't think adding chalk or gypsum would make the beer less harsh. Are you checking your mash pH?

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use 5.2 buffer. That helped a lot once I started using it to tame the acrid taste. But I understand that it does nothing to improve hop 'brightness' or character. So I was wondering if adding some chalk or gypsum wouldn't be useful to both balance hte mash pH and improve the hop chracter.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would recommend reading this:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...p?topic=1125.0

In a nutshell, 5.2 adds about 100ppm of sodium, and doesn't really buffer the way it claims to.

It is not a substitute for measuring and properly adjusting your mash pH.

Also, chalk doesn't really dissolve well in the mash. You're better off using slaked lime if you need to increase the pH, but I would never increase the pH unless you're positive, through measurement, that the mash pH is actually too low.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply