The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much better is partial mashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
rohanski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

newell456 get a grip! I think that after we start the homebrewing ang get hooked no matter what method we use we all become beer snobs. Be proud beer snob!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 04:26 AM   #12
Cos
Recipes 

What would be the maximum amount of grain I could PM and limit the boil size to 4 gallons? (I have a 22 qt. pan, don't think I can boil over 4 gal. without boilover).

If it takes 1.25 quarts of water per lb of grain to mash and another 2 quarts per lb to sparge, that's 3.25 quarts/lb. or .8 gallons/lb.

That comes out to 4 gallons of water per 5 lb of grain.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #13
SW Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been doing some partial mashes lately and doing 3.75 gallon boils. I end up with about 3 gallons of wort at the end, and I did notice a big difference in taste. I am also using liquid yeasts. All together, I notice a crisper taste and cleaner finish. I still have on really good extract recipe that I plan to keep making though.

greg

Secondary2:Red Hawk Ale (Extract)
Secondary3:Air
Bottled:Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (PM) Batch Two
Bottled:Northern Brewer IIPA
Bottled:
On Deck:Nothing, my wife will kill me!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #14
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been doing PM's for the last 4 batches.

I mash in a 3 gallon beverage cooler, and use 6 lbs of grains. I typically end up with 3 gallons of wort.

I do a gravity reading of the wort contributed by the grains, and then do some fairly simple calculations to determine how much extract I need to add to hit my target gravity exactly.

I make sure that I have more extract on hand than my recipe conversion indicated in case my mash efficiency is considerbly off.

I have found a significant improvement in the quality of my beer since moving to PM and will move to AG in the next couple of months. I just need to work out some logistics as I am living in an apartment. I can make it work though as I have a 400 sf deck. I just need to find a way to plumb my immersion chiller to my roof top deck!

Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Mk010101
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I too want to say that PM beer does taste better. I don't know what it is, maybe I just got lucky, but so far all my PM's have been excellent. I have tried some small AG brews (as I don't have the full capacity of a AG brewer) and they taste great too! So far I can tell little difference between PM and AG, but maybe I am just not experienced enough!

Doing two more small AG's this weekend, then beginning in October, I'll be back to full 5.25 gallon PM brews. Fall is here and I am excited!!!

edit: oh, I forgot to say, in the PM brews, I use DME and not LME. Somehow it confirms to a lot I have read here on this site: that DME doesn't seem to have that twang.

Output 2012: 56 gallons
Goal 2012: 120 gallons

Last edited by Mk010101; 09-06-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've only done 3 PM batches, but I do think they were better than my 3 extract batches.

Look for AG and PM recipes. AG recipes are fairly easy to convert to PM recipes - you just substitute extract for most (not all) of the base malt. Software like BrewSmith (which is what I use - its only $20), can help with recipe formuation and figuring out how much water to use.

Go for it! You'll like it.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 09-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #17
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Before giving you another opinion on PM vs Extract/w grains, I would rather know what you have brewed and what you didn't like about it?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 AM   #18
Cos
Recipes 

My first 2 batches of extra w/grain both have that "twang" My Brewers best kit for old english ale had a noticable twang after 2 weeks in the bottle. Now at 5 weeks, it is better, but still quite noticable.

My second batch was supposed to be a sam adams clone. I It has been bottled at room temp 2 weeks and now in the frig at 34 for a week. It has that same twang and really lacks the hop flavor of the boston lager.

I have an octoberfest which I just moved to secondary and when I sampled it, I noticed the twang again. Still have a ways to go on it though.

My main goal is to get rid of the twang. If I can do that by going to DME instead of liquid, that would be easier than doing a PM.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #19
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From reading the forum it does seem that the twang is more present in LME so it might help to some degree to switch to DME.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #20
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
My first 2 batches of extra w/grain both have that "twang" My Brewers best kit for old english ale had a noticable twang after 2 weeks in the bottle. Now at 5 weeks, it is better, but still quite noticable.

My second batch was supposed to be a sam adams clone. I It has been bottled at room temp 2 weeks and now in the frig at 34 for a week. It has that same twang and really lacks the hop flavor of the boston lager.

I have an octoberfest which I just moved to secondary and when I sampled it, I noticed the twang again. Still have a ways to go on it though.

My main goal is to get rid of the twang. If I can do that by going to DME instead of liquid, that would be easier than doing a PM.
Personally, I think a lot of this twang association with LME is coming more from using stale extract or folks scortching the LME than an inherent trait. When I used extract, the late addition method improved my brews.

Sure, try using DME and try a PM brew...try everything you can and see what works best. Having other brewers sample your beer and discuss your process can offer lots of good feedback too.

Quick Reply