Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how long will grains stay fresh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
ozziej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long will grains stay fresh?

quick question- am getting ready to make a saison (all grain), however just found out that I have to head out of town tomorrow for about 2 weeks. The grains are already crushed and ready to go- in your experiences, how long will crushed grains remain fresh and able to be used? I've sealed them up in ziploc bags and pressed the excess air out...

anyone have any idea- 2 weeks maybe (I hope!)?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

2 weeks is no issue. A month would be ok too. Beyond that I would vacuum pack the grains until you're ready to use them.

I keep uncrushed grain in sealed bins/buckets for many months without issue. Mostly due to buying multiple sacks at a time.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keeping uncrushed grain in bags is what most breweries do anyway, then crush as needed. I'd agree with Golddiggie about a month being pretty ok. I bet the Saison yeast will do a pretty good job covering up any funky flavors from the grain, just in case it's a little stale.

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I store crushed grains in the freezer and they are good for six months or more.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
ozziej
Recipes 

that's a relief

thanks for the info...

Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Toccata
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Recently brewed a red ipa using grain crushed 10/2011. The grain was stored in a bag secured with a twist tie (not air-tight), in a box in my uninsulated pantry in my NE home. In other words, it experienced both ends of the temperature spectrum in less than ideal conditions.

I came in three points above my anticipated og for fresh grain and was spot on for my fg. More importantly, the beer tastes great.

The only difference I've noticed between this batch and when I've brewed this recipe previously is less defined hop aroma, flavor and less bitterness. Hops were just as old, but stored in the freezer.

I've been so surprised by the results that I've been inspired to see how far I can push it. I've an old wit kit crushed around three years ago stored in the same place. Planning to brew it this weekend.

Quick Reply