Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long will grain keep?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
earlyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will grain keep?

I am new to the world of all grain brewing. I have however done several extract with specialty grain batches but only 1 all grain. All of my extract batches I bought as a kit had just enough ingredients to make that one batch. I have found AG brewing to be much more rewarding so I am getting ready to start my second AG batch (a Bell's Best Brown Clone). What I have found is that the recipe calls for several different measurements of grain none of them are a whole number. I have also found that most homebrew shops only sell grain by the pound not the ounce. My question is if I buy 1 pound of chocolate malt and only use 2 ounces of it, how long will the additional 14 ounces last?

Please help,

~d

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

If it's not crushed, it'll keep until the weevils start hatching. That can be anywhere from a couple months to several months, depending on when the store got the grain in. Usually, it's longer.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've read up to year if not longer if uncrushed and kept dry, cool and airtight. I just made a bulk grain purchase and I bought various sizes of these to store my grain in:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/new/vittles_vault.html

They're a little pricey but I've heard from several homebrewers at my LHBS that they work great and really keep the grain fresh.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I stocked up, when several of the local supply shops were closing. I must have bought ~300 pounds of grain. Big bags, little bags, etc.. I keep them in plastic storage bins, in the basement. Nice and cool year round, and the critters stay out of them too. I haven't brewed in a long time (3 years - ) I have brewed three batches in the last 3 weeks, and have had no problems with my grains. I figure I have had them now for close to 6 years. That is the main reason why I am brewing alot. I would like to get rid of as much as I can, before restocking. That is also another reason why I am developing my own versions of recipes, to reduce my grain stockpile.

Time to brew some more this weekend.

Later......

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
BREW N QUE
Recipes 

Are you sure your LHBS doesn't sell grains by the ounce? I know the two that I use price their grains by the pound, but sell you whatever quantity you need for your recipe. Since I don't have a mill, I find that it is easier to buy exactly what I need for a batch and have it all crushed and bagged together.

Quick Reply