Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long to keg a pale ale.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
eltorrente
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I find that Pale Ales are best about 4 or 5 weeks after brewing. Pale Ales are simple, but still they seem to smooth out a bit, even after they've cleared and have been bottled. Temperature plays a role, though. The higher the temp you store your beer during aging, the quicker they'll mature.

I use a temp controlled kegerator. I pitch at 62, then raise temp 1 degree every 12 hours, until I reach 68 degs, then I finish at room temp. After 10 days at room temp, I cold crash for 3 days at 35 degs, then into the keg and dry hops for 2 weeks at 50 degrees, then I cool to 35 for about 1 week to carbonate fully, then bottle or put it on tap. I just leave it on the dry hops the entire time, because you won't pick up the "grassy" flavors by dryhopping in the 50's, and at lower serving temps.

That's what I like to do, and my beer comes out like nectar of the Gods - but everyone has a different routine. You just gotta figure out what works best with your own equipment and experiment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply