Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long to drain a MLT cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
pahiker6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well I definitely missed that part of the thread. My experience thus far has been no collapsing of the braid - as far as I can tell. I've been using the same braid from my 2 gallon mini mash tun to my new 70 quart tun that I just mashed 22 lbs of grain in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I've yet to have the braid collapse even with close to 25lbs of grain and the 10 gallon tun filled to the lid. I really feel that most if not all damage is done while stirring the mash

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Dumb question, but bear with me! You had tubing from the barb into the kettle, right? I ask because one guy had all sorts of problems, but when he showed a picture, he just opened the valve and didn't have any tubing hooked up to it. Having the tubing makes more of a siphon effect and "pulls" the wort out. If you have that already, then I dunno!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
red999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't mind it Yooper, Ive done plenty of dumb things before but that atleast wasn't one of them. The SS braid has to be hooked up to the valve pretty good, since after I decided the valve wasn't working good enough, I just dump grain and all onto a colander and strainer sitting on the top of my pot. the braid didn't fall out with the grain so I can only assume its on there pretty good. Also after I cleaned out my MLT, I ran water through the valve and it came out fine so it doesn't look like anything got stuck in the piping anywhere.

I think I'm going to try and stretch the SS braid out a little more. Maybe the thickness of the liquid prevented a good flow? Thanks for the help everyone.

Primary:

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by red999 View Post
I don't mind it Yooper, Ive done plenty of dumb things before but that atleast wasn't one of them. The SS braid has to be hooked up to the valve pretty good, since after I decided the valve wasn't working good enough, I just dump grain and all onto a colander and strainer sitting on the top of my pot. the braid didn't fall out with the grain so I can only assume its on there pretty good. Also after I cleaned out my MLT, I ran water through the valve and it came out fine so it doesn't look like anything got stuck in the piping anywhere.

I think I'm going to try and stretch the SS braid out a little more. Maybe the thickness of the liquid prevented a good flow? Thanks for the help everyone.
Yeah, I'm thinking stuck sparge and nothing more...I've used my setup (with the hose inside) over a dozen times, and with some mighty thick water/grain ratios and not had a problem.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I The SS braid has to be hooked up to the valve pretty good, since after I decided the valve wasn't working good enough, I just dump grain and all onto a colander and strainer sitting on the top of my pot. the braid didn't fall out with the grain so I can only assume its on there pretty good.
I think what she meant was that there was a hose on the outside of the MLT, not that the braid was well attached to the valve Having a hose attached to the other side creates a nice siphon action. Stuck sparge is a possibility, as already mentioned - when you dumped it out, was there any really gooey, doughy looking stuff?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
red999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
I think what she meant was that there was a hose on the outside of the MLT, not that the braid was well attached to the valve Having a hose attached to the other side creates a nice siphon action. Stuck sparge is a possibility, as already mentioned - when you dumped it out, was there any really gooey, doughy looking stuff?
Ahh ... well then I guess I am an idiot. I didn't have a hose on the outside of the MLT. Didn't even think it was necessary. I was pouring the wort into a measuring cup and then putting it into the pot.

Thanks for figuring out my stupid mistake. Atleast the solution is easy.

Primary:

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Ahh ... well then I guess I am an idiot. I didn't have a hose on the outside of the MLT. Didn't even think it was necessary. I was pouring the wort into a measuring cup and then putting it into the pot.

Thanks for figuring out my stupid mistake. Atleast the solution is easy.
Nah - not a stupid mistake at all. It should work the way you did it, it would probably just work better with the hose. Stuck sparge is still the likeliest candidate - one thing you can do when that happens is to shut the valve, stir it all up, and re-vorlauf and see if it drains better.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
apparatus

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Do you have your lid screwed on tight while you are trying to drain? That will slow your drain down considerably. Try giving the lid a half turn or so counter clockwise to relaese the vacuum. I bet you will get a much better flow.

Apparatus

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

As I was reading through the thread I thought of three possible "gotchas". First was to make sure your braid is actually stainless and not some plastic/vinyl stuff. More than 10 people on here thought they had it right but no... If you didn't prick your finger messing with the braid, you probably got the wrong one. Second, no tubing on the outside of the tun and no gravity drop. Yooper nailed that one and it's a huge deal. Last, you might have reduced your open area down too much by not making enough holes in your inner tubing. I personally don't feel the insert is necessary at all. I've never crushed it under any grain load before, but what size holes did you drill every 1 inch?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply