Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long to drain a MLT cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
red999
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long to drain a MLT cooler

I converted a 5 gallon cooler to a MLT using flyguy's instructions and when I used it yesterday it took forever to drain. Couldn't find anything searching through the forums so I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or atleast how long does it usually take them to drain their MLT?

I'm using a SS braided hose with a plastic hose inside (just like in Flyguy's instructions). I mixed in 4.55 quarts of water with 3.25lbs. of grain and barely got 3 cups of wort out of it before it just started to drip out.

Primary:

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by red999 View Post
I converted a 5 gallon cooler to a MLT using flyguy's instructions and when I used it yesterday it took forever to drain. Couldn't find anything searching through the forums so I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or atleast how long does it usually take them to drain their MLT?

I'm using a SS braided hose with a plastic hose inside (just like in Flyguy's instructions). I mixed in 4.55 quarts of water with 3.25lbs. of grain and barely got 3 cups of wort out of it before it just started to drip out.
So how many holes did you put in the inner hose?

You did test it with water first, right?

When I did mine, I used a fairly large bit and made it look like the barrel of a machine gun...also stretch and compress the braid a bit to open up the SS mesh some, it may be too tight as well....

Mine drains fairly rapidly will the ball valve wide open.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I tried two different braids. They both worked great for their first uses, but did not work as well on subsequent brew days. It was taking 30 min to drain the MLT. I ended up changing to a copper manifold and it drains much faster. I need to vorlaugh a little longer with the manifold, but sparging is much faster overall.

Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What about the grain bed getting too compacted? Sometimes if you open the valve too fast, or don't have any rice hull with a fine crush the grain bed turns into cement pretty quickly.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
red999
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So how many holes did you put in the inner hose?

You did test it with water first, right?

When I did mine, I used a fairly large bit and made it look like the barrel of a machine gun...also stretch and compress the braid a bit to open up the SS mesh some, it may be too tight as well....

Mine drains fairly rapidly will the ball valve wide open.
The holes were probably spaced out 3/4" to 1" apart from each other, both top and bottom(so every 1/2" there is a hole somewhere). The total length of the hose is about 10". I didn't stretch the braid out though.

I did a water test before using it and ran great.

Quote:
What about the grain bed getting too compacted? Sometimes if you open the valve too fast, or don't have any rice hull with a fine crush the grain bed turns into cement pretty quickly.
I was thinking that might have been the issue. I added the water first then added the grain to that. And I did just open the valve up. Didn't have any rice hull in the grain bed. It poured great when I first opened the valve then quickly turned to a trickle.

Primary:

Secondary:

Kegged:

UpNext:

Old 11-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

what was the grain bill? You may have just had a stuck sparge. I never have had a problem with my MLT draining I also have the SS braid but with no hose inside. maybe the braid is wrapped to tight on the hose ?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
pahiker6
Recipes 

I'm totally confused here. Why are you adding holes to the inner hose? You should remove the inner hose.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahiker6 View Post
I'm totally confused here. Why are you adding holes to the inner hose? You should remove the inner hose.

It prevents the braid from collapsing with large grain bills....It's mentioned in Flyguy's thread.

Some people use vinyl, some even use holed copper...I just took out the original hose...put a bunch of holes in it, boiled it to clear the drill scraps, and put it back in...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yeah - just pull the inner hose out. It is not needed. It will work like a charm.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
yeah - just pull the inner hose out. It is not needed. It will work like a charm.

I betcha didn't read the whole thread....Like some of us...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/253344-post62.html

You especially need it if you are going like this

Quick Reply