Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How long does ground grain last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How long does ground grain last?

I had some two-row ground for me about 2 1/2 weeks ago, that I used for 2 different batches. I have about 5 lbs still sitting in the bag, from the 20lb batch they ground for me. How long do you think this will stay good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4774 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 948

It depends. If it's in the freezer in a vacuum sealed bag, it will last a long long time. If it's in a paper bag in the 75 degree living room, it'll last a far less amount of time.

It's sort of like bread. It doesn't really "go bad" all that fast, but it might stale. Taste the grain. If it tastes fresh, it's good. If it has a stale bread taste, they're no good.

I've kept crushed grain, vacuum sealed, in a cool spot for 3 months with no loss of quality.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It depends. If it's in the freezer in a vacuum sealed bag, it will last a long long time. If it's in a paper bag in the 75 degree living room, it'll last a far less amount of time.

It's sort of like bread. It doesn't really "go bad" all that fast, but it might stale. Taste the grain. If it tastes fresh, it's good. If it has a stale bread taste, they're no good.

I've kept crushed grain, vacuum sealed, in a cool spot for 3 months with no loss of quality.
I just tried a handful of it, but it's 2-row, so now sure how much taste is there It tasted ok. Currently it's in a grain bag, do you think I should move this to gallon ziplock bags, and put it in the fridge or freezer? Or is it too late for that already?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4774 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I just tried a handful of it, but it's 2-row, so now sure how much taste is there It tasted ok. Currently it's in a grain bag, do you think I should move this to gallon ziplock bags, and put it in the fridge or freezer? Or is it too late for that already?
You can do that, if you're not going to be using it for a while. Squeeze out as much air as you can. It should be just fine.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You can do that, if you're not going to be using it for a while. Squeeze out as much air as you can. It should be just fine.
I have an experimental beer I'm going to brew with it. Just not sure when I'm doing it, probably this week, just not sure what day yet.

Quick Reply