Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how long does cracked grain last for

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
mcmidc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've used it up to a couple of months old. It was sealed in an air tight bucket though. Didn't seem to have any ill effects. But if your worried about it then just chuck it and get new.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

As long as you can keep it dry and the temperature pretty stable, cracked grain can last for months with no ill effect. Just think of the Cap'n Crunch in your cupboard. As long as the inner liner is rolled, they stay tasty. If you leave the bag open, moisture invades and you get stale cereal.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #13
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bump an old thread. I was curious about this as well. I am about to do all grain 3 gallon batches and the scaling gives some unusual quantities of grain. I'm not sure that my LHBS will measure out 5 oz quantities of grain.

My plan is to use our food saver for unused grain, label it, and store it in the pantry. I'll probably do the same for hops. Sound like a plan?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
troy2000
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCAg2002 View Post
Bump an old thread. I was curious about this as well. I am about to do all grain 3 gallon batches and the scaling gives some unusual quantities of grain. I'm not sure that my LHBS will measure out 5 oz quantities of grain.

My plan is to use our food saver for unused grain, label it, and store it in the pantry. I'll probably do the same for hops. Sound like a plan?
The only LHBS I've ever used is Murrieta Homebrew Emporium in California, so I don't know how it's done elsewhere. But there I routinely serve myself, write down the weights of everything, and pay to the nearest tenth of a lb (ie, for 5 oz I'd be charged for .31 of a lb...).
That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
'This is sober liquor,'
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #15
frettfreak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
The only LHBS I've ever used is Murrieta Homebrew Emporium in California, so I don't know how it's done elsewhere. But there I routinely serve myself, write down the weights of everything, and pay to the nearest tenth of a lb (ie, for 5 oz I'd be charged for .31 of a lb...).
Same for me here. I weigh my own stuff and tell the shop what was in teh grain they crushed for me. I would hate to have to depend on someone else getting it right! lol I am in a similar predicament with some grains i bought for a smoked porter 2 nights ago. Think i am gonna be brewing it on new years eve instead of the other night. just gonna seal it in my vacuum sealer tonight and i think it should be fine. May just leave it tied up and double bagged like it came. Its pretty dry here and really shouldn't be a problem.

Primary: ManDango Mango IPAX2
Secondary / conditioning: Breakfast Porter
bottled / Kegged / Drank: Caramel apple Cider, Maple pecan Pumpkin Imperial Brown, JavaMochaChino Double Brown, ManDango Mango IPA, Kashyyyk Black IPA (x2), Smoked Vanilla Porter (x3), Total Disorder Porter (clone), Pliney the jedi, centenial blonde, Caramel Apple Cider,

Old 12-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Talonracer67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just used 11 month old crushed grain recipe that i got from my LHBS last year. OG target was 1.052 and i hit 1.060. They were vacuum packed and stored in a cool, dark basement.

Quick Reply