Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How important is a wort chiller and aqua pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
bjzelectric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How important is a wort chiller and aqua pump?

Planning my first all grain batch for next weekend thanks to Death Brewers pics/tutorial and I have all the equipment for the brew but am wondering how important it would be for me to buy an immersion wort chiller and an aquarium pump for aeration. Are either or both of these a necessity for all grain or have people had success w/o?

Hooray Beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I aerate now with pure 02, butg my brews were still good before I did anything but slosh the wort around when pouring into the primary. You're going to want a wort chiller since you'll be doing a full boil.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i would consider a wort chiller a very good investment. Sure you can do the ice bath method, but it will take what seems like an eternity. Although this is considering you want to chill your wort. There are people here (The Pol) who have started doing a no chill method with claimed success.

As far as aeration, i don't think a pump is necessary. Just give it a good stir or shake and you should be fine.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 05-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How do you chill now? I have had good success chilling 5gal. batches in an ice bath but for 10gals. an immersion or counterflow chiller is important for quick chilling. I have not found it necessary to use an aquarium pump. For 5gal. batches I simply pour the chilled wort back and forth between a couple of sanitized buckets before it goes in the fermenter or pump the wort through an aerator gizmo (one of those plastic thingys).
mark
Beer Diary...

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Niether one is a necessity, there are arguments for the use of them depending on your situation, a quick chill will bring about the cold break and get you to pitching temp sooner, some people filter the cold break out, some people do not. If you dont use a chiller you will need a container to store the wort in as it cools, i.e. fermentor or "cube". (Dont put anything in the airlock until it is cool or it will suck it into the fermentor) then pitch after it has cooled and you have aerated. I've never had a problem with aeration and have never used any sort of aeration outside of splashing and shaking (after cooled of course).

Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I could effectively cool 3 gallons in my sink with about 20 lbs of ice, when I tried cooling 4+ gallons I had to use more ice and it took longer, so I went with an imersion chiller, that gets me down to 80* pretty quick, I'm looking at some of the pre-chiller / recirculation methods to get it down below 80* as summer approaches and I plan to do full boils and AG

Consumed:#2 Hefeweizen, #3 SoHo Brown Ale, #7 Belgian Wit, #9 Belgian Amber
Bottled: #1 Trout Belgian Trippel, #4 Smoked Porter, #5 Apfelwein, #10 Bell's Brown Ale Clone, #11 Belgian Wit, #8 Wee Heavy
Secondary:#6 Trout Belgian Trippel
Secondary:
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3: Empty
On deck: ???

Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
ezboarderz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybugger2 View Post
I could effectively cool 3 gallons in my sink with about 20 lbs of ice, when I tried cooling 4+ gallons I had to use more ice and it took longer, so I went with an imersion chiller, that gets me down to 80* pretty quick, I'm looking at some of the pre-chiller / recirculation methods to get it down below 80* as summer approaches and I plan to do full boils and AG
What i do with my immersion chiller is that I use tap water till about 90 degrees and once i hit that, i then fill a sink with ice water and use a fountain pump to pump the ice water through my immersion chiller. I can go from about 212+ to 65 in about 17-20 minutes with 5 gallons. Its quite efficient and very cheap (the fountain pump cost me 20 dollars at ace hardware).

Primary 1 - Death Metal Dunkelweizen
Primary 2 - Stormlord Schwartzweizen
Primary 3 - empty
Primary 4 - empty

Kegged - nothing at the moment, i will be changing that.

Up Next - Behemoth Brown Ale, Forest of Oktoberfest.

Beer tastes better when listening to metal

Listen to Satan Divine

Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
aaronwillen
Recipes 

Just go out and make an immersion chiller it will cost you 40 bucks and will usually get your wort to pitching temp in 10-15. As for an aerator? I will come right out and say I have not once aerated my brews. I usually siphon into the fermenter and let the wort splash down from the top into the fermenter....i have never had problems with fermentation..and usually get fermentation starting within a few hours if i make a starter

Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on the IC with recirculating pump for icewater. I put it together with a few trips to Lowe's and Harbor Freight for about $45 total, and I get my full-boils down to temp in about 20-25 minutes. If you have some of those "blue ice" thingies in your freezer, you can also use those to keep the recirculation water nice and cool.

As far as aeration, I haven't done it other than by being particularly splashy when I pour the chilled wort into my fermenter through a large strainer. I pitch the yeast, then typically give the wort a good minute-long violent stir with my beer paddle, making lots of bubbles. 10 batches in, and so far all of my yeasties have started to do their job within 24 hours of pitching.

Yesterday I used a few tablespoons of a Nottingham yeast cake from a previous fermentation, pitching it at 83* (a bit high for me, but I was in a hurry). Within 5 hours, the airlock was bubbling away like crazy. So you might just consider harvesting your yeast cakes and getting a good start that way.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #10
Hardtack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For Aeration, I use a 5 gallon paint stirrer from the hardware store (cost a couple bucks) and a cordless drill.

Give it a quick squirt with Starsan ,and spin the crap out of it.

Also use the same stirrer for the grain in my mash tun,it`s to easy.

Quick Reply