Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How Important is length of Mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
billl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just a note on that experiment.

Their categories for what is fine vs coarse are using pans of 0.60mm and 0.25mm. That is a much wider range than anyone is setting their grain mills. Unless they are milling with a huge gap, everything in that 0.60mm bin should be husks plus whatever grain happens to get stuck to them. If you mill setting is less than 0.60mm, pretty much everything else should be falling through a 0.60mm screen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinstone View Post
A starch test shows positive for starch or not positive. It does not show how.....far the starch is broken down.....it is an indicator that conversion is complete.....not that the sugar profile is where you want it to be, depending.
But according to Noonan the color of the sample does indicate the sugar profile. I'm not saying he is right, and I'm not saying he is wrong; but that is what he wrote in New Brewing Lager Beer.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
globe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought i was losing 10 degrees over an hour until i took temp reading after mixing the mash. My thermometer is on the bottome of my kettle. If yours is the same way the temp can vary a lot. Mix then see, its hard to lose a ton of heat.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #24
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
But according to Noonan the color of the sample does indicate the sugar profile. I'm not saying he is right, and I'm not saying he is wrong; but that is what he wrote in New Brewing Lager Beer.

-a.
Ah, I think it was bamforth stating this. That starch test does not show how far sugar is degraded. .....maybe.. not sure.

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 05-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #25
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Regarding the crush, I read a very compelling report with pictures by Breiss that indicated the crush is not important AT ALL with respect to extraction of sugars. In fact, they recorded fair extraction without crushing at all. This is the opposite of what is stated here repeatedly. See this post and the related links: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/any-...3/#post4061244

I bought iodine when I first started brewing. It would register conversion in about 20 minutes. I haven't used it in years since it always converted.
I had this happen a few years back.

When I first started doing all grain I used to order my grains crushed because I didn't have a mill. I was pretty new and I got an order where the base malt was completely uncrushed. I was clueless and went ahead and mashed it. I didn't notice until I was done with the mash. My OG was lower than expeceted, but the beer still came out fine.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Quick Reply