Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to I check my efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
pnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Default How to I check my efficiency?

I have been searching around and nothing I have found is really making this clear to me...

After soaking my grains and rinsing, can I use my hydrometer and if so, how do I determine the efficiency percentage?

Try to keep your answer simple, please..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

most AG recipes are calculated at 75% efficiency. The recipe will have an estimated O.G. and a Estimated Pre Boil Gravity. When you take your reading you will subtract what you got from the Estimated Gravity and that is how many points you are off. for example if the recipe is 1.045 Estimated O.G. and you get 1.040 then you are 5 points shy and 70% Effciency. Remember if you have to either cool your pre boil sample or calculate the temp difference when you measure.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Hmmm. I don't have enough knowledge to even ask what I want to know....

If I'm doing just 3 or 4 pounds of grains, is there a way I can check the water/wort for sugar content and get a reading from that? Or is the only way to know what my efficiency is to know what something before I soak/rinse the grains? For instance, I have to know what my estimated Pre Boil Gravity is supposed to be....?

man this is confusing.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Read my all grain primer, linked in my signature below.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

The simple answer is that you need to calculate 100% efficiency and then measure your wort and see what percentage of that you got.

You'll need a chart like this one that gives the potential for various grains.

From the chart; German Pils has a potential of 1.037 (also can be expressed as 37 pts/lb/gallon...that's points per pound per gallon). So if you mashed 1# of German Pils malt and yielded 1 gallon of final wort...the gravity would be 1.037 @ 100% efficiency. But you won't get 1.037...you'll get less...say you got 1.034. 34/37=92% so that's 92% efficiency.

If you mashed 1# and got 2 gallons of wort then you'd divide by 2...so in that case 100% efficiency would be 37/2=18.5 and your gravity @ 100% eff would be 1.0185. But you'd only get some fraction of that (your efficiency).

Ya know what...better to just read BobbyM's primer.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 03-12-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
brown_dog_us
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Ya know what...better to just read BobbyM's primer.
or get some brewing software...

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use software of course, but I want to know how and why it comes up with the numbers too.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

It's almost just as easy to make a simple Excel spreadsheet and use that. I made one in the late 90s and I keep improving it but it's still basically the same as it was then. My spreadsheet is more accurate for my brewing than the one @ Tasty Brew (I think some of these programs use the wrong extract potential numbers or something)...but I manually enter the extract potential numbers for each brew.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 03-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply