Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to get rid of astringent aftertaste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
revbish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to get rid of astringent aftertaste?

I recently started brewing all-grain. For years I've brewed with extract and made some really good beers. Now, I've made half a dozen batches all-grain and every single batch has had a real astringent aftertaste, not related to hops. I'm using a large rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen, Beersmith software, and a single infusion, no-sparge mashing technique. Every batch has gone very smoothly, hitting all my target temps and gravities spot on. I read and studied all-grain method a long time before actually attempting it, laying it out clearly in my mind what I was going to do, so I felt very comfortable when doing it. The bad aftertaste must be coming from the mashing process, but I really don't know what I can do to avoid this. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
drhookmec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It may be time to invest in a PH meter and keep an eye on your mash PH.
If it goes to high it can cause astringent flavors.
You can also send a sample of your water to ward labs for analysis then use EZ water calculator to adjust it.

Tim

Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
nbolmer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbish View Post
I recently started brewing all-grain. For years I've brewed with extract and made some really good beers. Now, I've made half a dozen batches all-grain and every single batch has had a real astringent aftertaste, not related to hops. I'm using a large rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen, Beersmith software, and a single infusion, no-sparge mashing technique. Every batch has gone very smoothly, hitting all my target temps and gravities spot on. I read and studied all-grain method a long time before actually attempting it, laying it out clearly in my mind what I was going to do, so I felt very comfortable when doing it. The bad aftertaste must be coming from the mashing process, but I really don't know what I can do to avoid this. Anybody have any ideas?
pH paper is cheap and accurate, as well. Meters require buffers, storage solution, probe replacement, etc...

//Noah A. Bolmer // www.barleynhops.com//
//Barley and Hops Tavern // Occidental, CA//
//Warped Brewing Company // 10bbl // Sebastopol, CA//

Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Can you detail your "normal" process out for us a little bit more. That can help us troubleshoot your problems. Maybe give the exact process for a recipe that had the astringency.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Polyclar can fine out poly phenols (but it's best to not get too may in the first place.)

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Understanding your water is the first step. It sounds like the alkalinity of the brewing water is higher than desirable. That might result in the mash pH getting a little too high. In addition, if the tap water alkalinity is too high, then you HAVE to reduce the alkalinity of the water used for sparging. You need Bru'n Water for that since none of the other tools have that capability.

Having a pH meter can be helpful, but its not a true necessity. pH paper can work, but its difficult to read with the effect of wort color and most strips tend to read at least a couple of tenths too low. That is not really a huge problem, but you do need to aim for a mash pH reading that is a couple of tenths higher than the typical range of 5.3 to 5.5 to account for the error. The great thing about a program like Bru'n Water is that as long as you have accurate ion information for your tap water, you can get within a tenth or two of the targeted pH every time, without a meter or strips.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

These are pics of the mash and sparge pH readings of my Dunkel I brewed today. It was at the darker end of the style. I used CaCl2 in all the liquor and phosphoric acid in the sparge.

p1030746.jpg   p1030756.jpg  

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbolmer View Post
pH paper is cheap and accurate,
Cheap yes, accurate, that's debatable.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

I like those Precision Labs papers because if it turns green it's in range. Blue or yellow are not.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
nbolmer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Cheap yes, accurate, that's debatable.
My Hanna 96107 agrees within ~.2 of paper. Good enough, considering the Hanna is rated to ~.1

The big advantage of the tester is range - I can test starsan with it. Paper is close enough for diagnostic purposes.

//Noah A. Bolmer // www.barleynhops.com//
//Barley and Hops Tavern // Occidental, CA//
//Warped Brewing Company // 10bbl // Sebastopol, CA//

Quick Reply