Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How fast do you use up grain (base malt)?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default How fast do you use up grain (base malt)?

Curious to see how many batches people are getting out of 50-55 pound sacks of base malt/grain...

At my current brewing style/method, I'll be lucky to get more than 6 batches when I start buying bulk sacks o grain... I've been using 9-10 pounds of base malt/grain per 5 gallon batch, plus specialty grains. That's not even for 'big beers' which could be 13-15+ pounds of grain in a 5 gallon batch.

If you use a mix of base malts for your brews, I'd be interested in seeing what you use. Right now, I'm going with more UK style brews, so I'm using UK 2 Row and Maris Otter base malts. I plan to get a firm grasp on those before moving on to other country styles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
hamiltont
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just used a little over a 1/2 a bag on an IPA. 10 gallon batch. I usually try to brew every 3-4 weeks in the winter and try to brew similar beers so I can use the yeast slurry at least a few times. I use a lot of 2-row, Vienna, Munich & Pilsner so they're purchased in 50 lb. increments, usually 100 lbs. for the 2-row. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

With the 1/2 sack o grain in 10 gallons, what was your OG?? In my last brewing (using the BIAB method) I made an Irish Amber Ale with 10 pounds of base malt (5# each of UK 2 Row and MO) plus another pound of specialty grains and hit an OG of 1.064... With you using over 25 pounds of base (plus specialty) in a 10 gallon batch, I would suspect your OG is a good deal higher.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
With the 1/2 sack o grain in 10 gallons, what was your OG?? In my last brewing (using the BIAB method) I made an Irish Amber Ale with 10 pounds of base malt (5# each of UK 2 Row and MO) plus another pound of specialty grains and hit an OG of 1.064... With you using over 25 pounds of base (plus specialty) in a 10 gallon batch, I would suspect your OG is a good deal higher.
OG was 1.086. 30 lbs. of grain total. When I brew consecutive batches to reuse yeast it's a progressive process. The yeast for this DIPA came from a 1.054 APA. This will be the end for this yeast. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So you hit about 80% efficiency... Very nice... I'm still dialing in my processes for all grain brewing, but I hope to stabilize in the 80% neighborhood.

I've started washing my yeast, to help spend less per brew. It's working out pretty well for me so far, but I've really only started doing it. I have the yeast from a brew I racked to secondary (for aging) still settling in the fridge. My previous washing is doing well in the fridge too. I have one more yeast cake that I'll be harvesting, for a different strain, around this weekend (or next)... I plan to keep 2-3 jars, of yeast, from each batch so that I can (theoretically) go for months before needing to buy more yeast... If I do it right, I might even be able to go a year, or more, before I need to purchase yeast again. The three strains I'm using now, covers about 80-90% of what I'm planning on brewing. I do plan to harvest additional strains as I use them. I'm even thinking about setting up to freeze yeast in another couple of months. That way, I'll be able to keep it for longer.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

4-5 batches per bag here.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
4-5 batches per bag here.
Sounds like you're making a bit bigger brews... My first two AG batches were at, or under, 1.064 for the OG... I'm still making 5 gallon batches, are you making 5 or 10 gallon batches?

I might have to find a place/space to fit two sacks of grain at a time (one UK 2 Row and one MO)... That way I can use either, or both, in a brew.... Plus other assorted grains I'll need... Probably end up with almost another full sack worth there too.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Snowhere
Recipes 

I am getting 5 batches out of a 50-55lb bag.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Jase3040
Recipes 

I also got 5 brews out of a 55lb bag, but one of them was a 10% beer.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made Yoopers 60 minute IPA over the weekend in a 11 gallon batch. that alone used 26# of 2row. 10 gallon batches eats through grain very quickly considering I don't make anything less then 5%. I get about 83% efficiency consistantly so atleast I'm not wasting the grains.
tom

Quick Reply