Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how efficient was this mash?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Mk010101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 259
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default how efficient was this mash?

My first all-grain. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Red Trolley Clone
TYPE: ALL GRAIN

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 14.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

------

I mashed around 158 for 45 min. Since this was my first time using a converted cooler, I wasn't sure how fast I needed to dran the mash tun, so I got some stuck sparges at first, and it took almost 25 min to drain a 3 gallon cooler initially. The sparge went much better and maybe took 10 minutes to drain that. Now I know what to do for next time.

I measured the gravity and it came in a 1.055 at 117 degrees. I collected 4 gallons of wort. One question: I am not sure how to calculate the efficiency, mainly because I don't know if I am supposed to convert that 1.055 reading to the standarn or what!?! The gravity reading at pitching (with 3 gallons in the fermenter) was 1.064 at 84 degrees. So, maybe 1.067 at most.

Can anyone tell me my efficiency? Thanks!

__________________

Output 2012: 56 gallons
Goal 2012: 120 gallons

Mk010101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
trev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk010101
My first all-grain. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Red Trolley Clone
TYPE: ALL GRAIN

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 14.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

------

I mashed around 158 for 45 min. Since this was my first time using a converted cooler, I wasn't sure how fast I needed to dran the mash tun, so I got some stuck sparges at first, and it took almost 25 min to drain a 3 gallon cooler initially. The sparge went much better and maybe took 10 minutes to drain that. Now I know what to do for next time.

I measured the gravity and it came in a 1.055 at 117 degrees. I collected 4 gallons of wort. One question: I am not sure how to calculate the efficiency, mainly because I don't know if I am supposed to convert that 1.055 reading to the standarn or what!?! The gravity reading at pitching (with 3 gallons in the fermenter) was 1.064 at 84 degrees. So, maybe 1.067 at most.

Can anyone tell me my efficiency? Thanks!
Uh, I could be way wrong as I just did my first AG, but wouldn't you want to take
your OG at 70 F and then drain to the fermenter then?

Pitching at 84 F in the fermenter seems a little hot to me too. I usually don't pitch
until around close to 70 F. You don't want to kill the yeast.

-- Trev
__________________
trev is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 2,862
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

You won't kill the yeast at 84, but it is a bit warm...

According to Promash, 1.064 @ 84F equates to about 1.067, wich would be a 78% efficiency.

__________________

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Brewing Clamper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
trev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniscientomar
You won't kill the yeast at 84, but it is a bit warm...

According to Promash, 1.064 @ 84F equates to about 1.067, wich would be a 78% efficiency.
Not trying to hijack this thread but thanks omni! I am still learning and new at this,
just finished my first AG of a Fat Tire clone. Reading up on Palmer's book too.

I am in SF BA too, nice to see another brewer in the area.

Thanks,

-- Trev
__________________

Primary: Widmer Hefeweizen clone
Secondary:
Bottled: Fat Tire clone
Next Up:?

trev is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 2,862
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev
Not trying to hijack this thread but thanks omni! I am still learning and new at this,
just finished my first AG of a Fat Tire clone. Reading up on Palmer's book too.

I am in SF BA too, nice to see another brewer in the area.

Thanks,

-- Trev
Yeah, there's quite a few of us around here, we just seem to hide more... where do you get your supplies from?
__________________

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Brewing Clamper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
trev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Fermentation Solutions in Campbell.

The owner's, Rick and Marie are great!


Cheers,

-- Trev

__________________

Primary: Widmer Hefeweizen clone
Secondary:
Bottled: Fat Tire clone
Next Up:?


Last edited by trev; 05-01-2007 at 07:09 AM.
trev is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,767
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default

You want your sparge to run about 45 to 60 min, with 60 min being optimum for efficiency. Thats for fly sparging.

Check your gravity and stop sparging when it drops (compensated for temp) to 1.010 or when your PH drops by 0.2 (which is basically what has by 1.020 gravity reading..it's actually the PH that is a concern).

__________________

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository


Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 05-01-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Denny's Evil Concoctions is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
Mk010101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 259
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Cool, thanks. I suspected it was in the 70's, so I am happy that it was closer to 80%. I forgot to say I batch sparged. It seems easiest and even if fly sparging will yield 3-5% more, it isn't worth my time for that small amount.

As to pitching yeast at 85. Sure it is a bit warm, but since you rehydrate the yeast at 90 degrees, I saw no harm in it. It was a dry yeast pack of 1056 for a 3 gallon batch, so there was way more than enough in case some died. It started fermenting within 6 hours.

__________________

Output 2012: 56 gallons
Goal 2012: 120 gallons

Mk010101 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Denny's Evil Concoctions's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 7,767
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default

The reason pitching high can be a problem is the amount of esters the yeast generates when that warm, not the yeast dieing. Just depnds on how fast the beer dropped to normal range.

I wouldn't worry to much though.

__________________

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Denny's Evil Concoctions is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter Tun ChemE DIY Projects 169 05-30-2012 11:34 AM
First Partial Mash- 94.4% Efficient?? I don't believe it. smitty2324 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-30-2009 04:17 AM
Do collars cause the freezer to be less efficient? brewjack DIY Projects 32 07-03-2009 02:38 AM
Cost Efficient. mikeyc Commercial Brew Discussion 2 12-14-2008 11:52 AM
Can my cooler be more temp efficient? eschatz All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-02-2008 11:44 PM