Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How does this IPA recipe look?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrst

Interesting to hear the difference of opinion. I think I'm more in line with your thinking. I was looking for tons of flavor and aroma, but I don't want it to suck your tongue back into your head with bitterness.
You could scale back the 60 minute addition, move the cascade to 15 along with what you take away from the 60 in addition. Or FWH the 60 min addition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Phyrst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
You could scale back the 60 minute addition, move the cascade to 15 along with what you take away from the 60 in addition. Or FWH the 60 min addition.
See, this is why I love you guys. For some reason splitting up the portions didn't occur to me. It probably doesn't seem brilliant to you, but it is to me. I've got a lot to learn in formulating my own recipes. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
I think he'll still get plenty of flavor at 5/0/DH... (isn't 75% of what we taste from our nose anyway?)

Hop oils are delicate & volatile...less boiling the better, IMO. I like the late additions. Actually, I'd bump all or a portion of the 5min Cascade to dry hop.
Was going to say the same thing. I'd move those cascades to the dry-hop.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Phyrst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Was going to say the same thing. I'd move those cascades to the dry-hop.
Done. What kind of flavor/aroma are the liberty hops going to give me? I know Chinook will give me a piney flavor, and the cascade and centennial will give me a citrus flavor. But I'm not familiar with Liberty.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Phyrst
Recipes 

Alright, after reading a bit about Liberty hops I don't think it's a good fit here. So I'm leaving them out on this batch. With the input I've got from you fine gentlemen, here is what my new hop schedule looks like.

60 mins - 0.75 oz Centennial
15 mins - 0.50 oz Chinook
5 mins - 0.50 oz Chinook, 0.50 oz Centennial
2 mins - 0.75 oz Centennial
Dry hop 7 days - 1 oz Cascade

Discuss.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think it looks nice and basic... As a first IPA should be. However, considering the abv, it's more of a hoppy pale ale I think. I might increase the two row a bit and get over the 6% mark at least. I know the low end abv of IPAs is 5.5% according to BJCP guidelines, but you rarely find an IPA that low. My min abv on an IPA is high 6s.

Also, your aroma may be a bit mild unless you are going for a milder IPA, which looks likely. Just thought I'd mention it. I'd up the dry hop addition to two drops... One at day 10 or so and leave for 10 days to two weeks with the second drop being 5-7 days. I aim for 3-5 weeks in primary and rarely secondary as I find it unnecessary and potentially problematic.

Have fun!!

---------
regularly brewed ales:
Hopostle single IPA
Hopostle double IPA
Brooklynn Brew Saison (every summer)

Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Phyrst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erockomania View Post
I think it looks nice and basic... As a first IPA should be. However, considering the abv, it's more of a hoppy pale ale I think. I might increase the two row a bit and get over the 6% mark at least. I know the low end abv of IPAs is 5.5% according to BJCP guidelines, but you rarely find an IPA that low. My min abv on an IPA is high 6s.

Also, your aroma may be a bit mild unless you are going for a milder IPA, which looks likely. Just thought I'd mention it. I'd up the dry hop addition to two drops... One at day 10 or so and leave for 10 days to two weeks with the second drop being 5-7 days. I aim for 3-5 weeks in primary and rarely secondary as I find it unnecessary and potentially problematic.

Have fun!!
Thanks. That's great advice I'll keep in mind for the next batch. Being my first IPA I wanted to keep it simple and a bit on the mild side. I'll assess this batch and tweek it next time more to my liking.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Instead of more malt, just add a lb or so of dextrose.

You also lost your dry-hop of centennial! More dry-hopping! Move that 5 minute 0.5oz of centennial to the dry-hop with the cascade, add your lb. of dextrose late in the boil, and you're golden.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
Phyrst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Instead of more malt, just add a lb or so of dextrose.

You also lost your dry-hop of centennial! More dry-hopping! Move that 5 minute 0.5oz of centennial to the dry-hop with the cascade, add your lb. of dextrose late in the boil, and you're golden.
Ah. That's an interesting thought. I have a pound of DME I bought for yeast starters. Could I use that instead of dextrose?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I have a few thoughts, FWIW:

1) Mash a little lower. With 1# of C40 and 154, you'll have a pretty substantial body. While I like the taste, that combo makes it hard for me to have more than one. I'd probably go with 149-150 to get a lower FG. Maybe add some sugar as well... .5# to up the ABV and drop the FG a touch more. Not everyone agrees, though.

2) Why Liberty? Not against it, just curious to me in that mixture.

3) I happen to really like Chinook, but it's not for everyone. Unless you really know & like it, I'd probably flip the Chinook and Centennial additions. My approach would be: 60-Chinook; 15 (or 10)-Centennial; 5-Cascade; 1-Liberty; DH-Centennial.

4) Make a 500ml starter about 24hrs before you plan to pitch--get that fermentation off on a healthy, wort-shredding start to keep it clean and crisp.

5) Ferment at 65-67 and keep in the primary for two weeks; if you want to do a secondary to clear it, transfer & cold crash for a week, then prime & bottle.

Cheers & hoppy brewing!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply