Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how does flavor change after primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
heffe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how does flavor change after primary

i just did my first all grain batch, an english brown. I tasted it when i switched to secondary fermentation and taking my gravity. It definitely had more of a bitter taste then i would have thought with 4oz of hops added at various times per normal.

Can i expect the bitterness to mellow out during secondary? I never really tasted my extract batches until bottling.

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How long was it in primary? You probably racked to the brite tank too soon (and unnecessary). Also, 4oz of hops, depending on WHEN they were added, could be a LOT for a brown ale, especially an English brown ale.

Bitterness WILL mellow with age. Depending on the IBU's and IBU:GU ratio, it could take some time.

BTW, I typically use 2oz of hops in my English brown ale recipe. 1oz at 60 minutes and 1 oz at 10 minutes. Total IBU's is ~24 for the recipe.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2600 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 5766

It will probably mellow a little during the conditioning phase, but past that, the longer you wait the more the hop character will diminish. I personally wouldn't have used 4 oz of hops for an English brown. Assuming you're trying to stick to style, regardless of hop addition timing, you're going to get too much hop character with 4 oz. You're either going to get too much bitterness or too much flavor/aroma. I probably would have used only a 1 oz bittering addition and maybe a small (.5 oz?) addition for a bit of flavor. Obviously it depends on the hop variety, but any hop I would use in an English brown would be low AA%. It really depends on what you were going for. Long story short, maybe not in secondary, but with the enough time the hop character will mellow out to where you want it.

EDIT: Golddiggie beat me, but we said essentially the same thing.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't know enough about your brew to give you a def answer but, i bet the bitterness will be spot on once it's carbed up. Cheers

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
Don't know enough about your brew to give you a def answer but, i bet the bitterness will be spot on once it's carbed up. Cheers
Depends on WHICH English brown ale style he's going for... Northern or southern? Without knowing the recipe, it's virtually impossible to say WHEN (if at all) the batch will be closer to style.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
heffe
Recipes 

i started with an india brown recipe that called for 8oz of hops which i thought overkill, so i backed itndown to 4oz.

I suppose it could be hop selection as well. i guess this is why it is good to take notes because next time i can step it down a notch or try some different bittering hops.

Quick Reply