Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How do you make a beer "bright"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
BVilleggiante
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How do you make a beer "bright"?

Just like the thread says. Pliny The Elder, Little Sumpin Sumpin, etc. How do you make a beer bright? Sorry for the short paragraph. On my phone

Follow my Nano Brewery on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BrickCowBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

I'm guessing add citrus type hops and not a lot of crystal malt. Sumthin tasted downright juicy to me. Get the final gravity low too, but use late addition hops to get flavor and aroma without the bitterness. That might start you off.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2198 Times on 1914 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

I was thinking a lighter (kinda medium) malt flavor & "C" hops for the citrusy qualities.
My son came over today after he & his buddy went to Thirsty Dog & Hoppin' Frog craft breweries over in Akron. He brought me a fresh bottle of TD's Cerberus. A Belgian style trippel with that amber orange color I love. A lil bit of malt sweetness with a great crispness from whatever hops were used. I always thought that crisp quality in an ale would be good. I just can't re-find the site where I discovered them originally.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

A critical factor influencing the 'brightness' of beer flavor is wort pH. If it is too high, there are a number of negative results that occur. One of the biggest is the coarse or rough nature of hop expression produced at higher wort pH. Keeping the pre-boil wort pH below 5.4 is critical. Starting with a pre-boil wort pH in the 5.2 to 5.4 range is ideal.

The main thing that creates higher than desirable wort pH is excessive alkalinity in the water source. Be sure to find out what your water alkalinity is and how to treat it.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I love Sumpin Sumpin...I think the wheat in the grist keeps the malt profile low and lets the hops shine....I brewed a batch w/ around 30-40% wheat and was pleased.

As said above, too much crystal acts like a hop eraser IME...kinda like a little sugar in a bitter espresso coffee totally changes the coffee.

Quick Reply