Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How do you make (AG) wort for a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #21
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I don't know Revvy but making a gallon or two might not be a bad idea to have on hand later. Not real familiar with the canning process, I suppose I can Google that.
You need a pressure cooker. They are a little expensive for a good one, but come in handy for canning food, ribs, pulled pork, all kinds of stuff. I make up 5 gallons of starter wort at a time and can it up mostly in pints and quarts. Just mash and off to the canner. You end up with some break in the jars if you don't boil first, but you can leave most of that behind with some careful pouring. It's a lot easier than a regular brew day, and then you have enough starter wort for quite a few batches.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

IsaacBrewton Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #22
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1960 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 2771

Thanks BBL! Would you mind giving me the basic directions to canning? I have 6 or 7 pint size mason jars and a pressure cooker.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #23
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks BBL! Would you mind giving me the basic directions to canning? I have 6 or 7 pint size mason jars and a pressure cooker.
Well, as far as basic directions go I would consult the manual for the canner you have. Ie, how much water you need to put in the canner and that sort of thing. If you are not familiar with the process at all and don't have the manual, let me know what kind of cooker it is and I'll help you out. As far as directions for canning the wort itself, can it at 15 psi for 15 minutes. Leave a little head space in the jars so they don't boil over and glue your rings to the jar threads. Check to make sure all the lids sealed after they cool by tapping on them and then store. Nothing to it really.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #24
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I can put 1.5 gallons of water in it with about a 1/4 inch space left at the top. There is no PSI gauge on the lid, just three settings. One no air out, two some air out and three more air out.. ha ha.

So how does this canning process work?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

To be honest with you, I've never seen one like that. All the ones I've ever saw either had a jiggler or a pressure gauge (I have both kinds). What is the brand and model? Sounds like maybe that one is meant for just cooking and not canning.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started doing something on brew day that always gives me starter wort when I need it. When I am done brewing I dump the remaining wort at the bottom of my keggle into a bucket. Yes, it is full of protein/hot break material and looks as bad as you can imagine. I layer a couple paper towels in a large funnel and place this in another catch pot. I then pour it in and let it sit and filter. I usually have about two quarts leftover and this all filters crystal clear -- It's amazing. I then pour this clarified wort into labeled/dated freezer bags and freeze them until I need one. At that point, I thaw them, boil for fifteen minutes in my Erlenmeyer flask, cool and pitch.

I am not really spending any extra time and I would dump out the kettle dregs otherwise. I wish I had a picture of the before and after filtering, because it is dramatic.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So it's 10:22 pm, I have a gallon of water and 4 cups of crushed two row (my scale died so had to do basic volume measurements) sitting in a crockpot which for the time being is set on high. I didn't realize it was so late so thinking about setting the crockpot to low before I go to bed and just let it mash away till morning.

I'll probably pour the mash into a collander (placed above another pot), sparge with some hot water and take a gravity reading. If to (edit) low I'll boil for awhile to evaporate the excess water and if to (edit) high dilute with (boiled/cooled) water.

After that need to preserve it somehow, canning sounds like a good idea, just need to learn how to.

I planned on brewing Sunday 1/29 but my scale and thermometer are broken and need to be replaced. Next weekend I won't have the time due to family commitments. Next brew day will not be until February 11th

Reason: Must have been tired, s

Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #28
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
To be honest with you, I've never seen one like that. All the ones I've ever saw either had a jiggler or a pressure gauge (I have both kinds). What is the brand and model? Sounds like maybe that one is meant for just cooking and not canning.
It might be BBL, I really don't know. Can you give me an idea of the process? I goggled it and there are plenty of videos about canning, however they sort of assume you understand canning in the first place.. Know what I mean?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #29
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I started doing something on brew day that always gives me starter wort when I need it. When I am done brewing I dump the remaining wort at the bottom of my keggle into a bucket. Yes, it is full of protein/hot break material and looks as bad as you can imagine. I layer a couple paper towels in a large funnel and place this in another catch pot. I then pour it in and let it sit and filter. I usually have about two quarts leftover and this all filters crystal clear -- It's amazing. I then pour this clarified wort into labeled/dated freezer bags and freeze them until I need one. At that point, I thaw them, boil for fifteen minutes in my Erlenmeyer flask, cool and pitch.

I am not really spending any extra time and I would dump out the kettle dregs otherwise. I wish I had a picture of the before and after filtering, because it is dramatic.

You know, I have recently thought about using some of the last runnings as starter wort, just have not done that yet so have none on hand. You say you filter your last runnings and freeze? That's a great idea! I suppose I could do that with the wort I'm now making for a starter, brew day is in two weeks. You think that would work? Been talking with BBL about canning which I think is a great way to save wort for an indefinite period. You ever can?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

When you pressure can something, you boil water (and your jars) in a somewhat sealed vessel and the pressure builds up inside. There is always some sort of pressure relief that regulates the pressure. Different foods need to be held at a certain pressure for a given amount of time to properly preserve. 15 psi for 15 minutes will render the wort sterile. For yours, I'm not sure what the settings correspond to in terms of pressure. If you knew what model it was I might be able to look it up.

Quick Reply