New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How do I use rice or grits in brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Jolly McStanson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do I use rice or grits in brewing?

I wanted to try some batches of beer using rice or grits.

I boiled up two cans of Quaker grits to gelatinize them. What I ended up with is a huge sticky clumpy pile of grits. If I put them in the mash it would surely clog when I sparge.

Ones I decided not to use the grits I tried rice. I boiled the rice to gelatinize it. Then I added enough water to make it soupy. I strained off the water and added it to the boil. I also put some gelatinized rice in a couple of hop bags and put them in the boil.

I put some amylase enzyme in the primary fermenter to convert any of the rice juice that was in the wort.

Does any one know the real technique to using rice or grits in brewing beer?

Thank you.....Jolly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i do an oatmeal stout with 1 lb of quaker oats - cooked it till real soft and added the sticky mess to my mash. i thought it might gum up , but after the hour mash -it batch sparged just fine both times i made the recipe.
i do a corona type with rice and treat it the same way, crack the rice - cook till real soft and add to mash - no problem with batch sparge after conversion.

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The sticky mess is mostly due to starch chains IFRC so I imagine after the mash, the starches are broken down so no more sticky mess.... right?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
jdoiv

Recipes 

I think it will partly depend on how much you put in. I know that the big breweries use some 6 row malt to help boost the enzymes for conversion as well as helping the make up of the filter bed. 6 row has more husk material which aids in lautering. You could also add some rice hulls.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two cans ( 2 pounds) of fully boiled grits ends up being about 4 gallons or more of sticky grits. Its also much more then two pounds now. Two cans boils up to about 10 or 15 pounds when finished. I'm not sure how to measure them for the mash, or to plug into beer Smith.

I didn't even know how to get the sugars out of the grits or rice. Your answers are helping out big time.

Iv read where the big breweries use almost 30 percent Grits or rice in the beer so that's what I was aiming for.

Thank you for the input guys, its gold.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Look up "cereal mash". This is what you are attempting.
If you are only doing a small amount of adjuncts then you can cook them and mix them into the mash. The enzymes in the mash will break down the starches into sugars. There is little sugar in rice or grits which is why it is necessary to mash.
If you are using a large amount of adjuncts then you will need to use 6-row and/or rice hulls to prevent stuck sparges. However you should be able to add up to 20% adjuncts without too much trouble.
I believe for a cereal mash you should also add a small amount of crushed malts to the adjuncts before cooking to help to break up some of those sticky starches.

Craig

Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly McStanson
Two cans ( 2 pounds) of fully boiled grits ends up being about 4 gallons or more of sticky grits. Its also much more then two pounds now. Two cans boils up to about 10 or 15 pounds when finished. I'm not sure how to measure them for the mash, or to plug into beer Smith.

I didn't even know how to get the sugars out of the grits or rice. Your answers are helping out big time.

Iv read where the big breweries use almost 30 percent Grits or rice in the beer so that's what I was aiming for.

Thank you for the input guys, its gold.
I don't know what your going for in the beer your trying to make, but from what I've read, this is what helps it be tasteless... the rice.

Now that said, I'm using corn in my next brew just to try it out.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
I don't know what your going for in the beer your trying to make, but from what I've read, this is what helps it be tasteless... the rice.

Now that said, I'm using corn in my next brew just to try it out.
A couple of my Buddy's including my brother wont drink anything but Bud Light. One of my friends loves Malt Liquor. Malt Liquor is made with grits so iv read. I'm going to experiment with a bunch of different adjuncts to see what I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Look up "cereal mash". This is what you are attempting.
You hit the nail right on the head. I was doing a search for everything but cereal mash. I got a lot of hits and its good reading.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm not trying to get down on your idea or anything... but I don't think attempting to brew a BMC is worth your time. At all. It is not cost effective, they likely still won't like it because it is a difficult style to replicate (well), and then you will be stuck with at least 5 gallons of awful BMC-like swill that your will need a beer bong to get rid of. I would stick to brewing other beer styles and maybe try to find something they like. Start with ambers, or a farmhouse Belgian. I have converted a ton of BMCers with those two styles alone.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you want BMC taste try this: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/20040801.php

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply