Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to Crush Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
cregan13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to Crush Grains

I bought 10lbs. of grains at the homebrew store today, but forgot to get it crushed. My wife is away and dragging my 2 year old back across town is something I am avoiding like the plague.....plus the gas. Does anyone know a field-expedient way of crushing grains at home? I guess a kitchen roller might work, but it seems like it might take awhile going that route. Any pearls of wisdom on how to crush grains and how crushed they need to be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Rolling pin will kinda work, but will take forever. A food processor on a very low setting may work, but I'd be worried about turning the grain into flour. Unfortunately your best bet is to go back to the hbs and have it milled properly. And, get yourself a grain mill so you don't need to worry about it in the future. Good luck

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If you post your location in your profile, you may find out that someone one here lives closer to you than your HBS, and might grind it for you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Crushing two pounds of grain with a rolling pin takes forever, much less ten! You get a pretty crappy crush, anyway, and it makes a huge mess. I'd avoid the food processor, you want to crush the grain, not chop it (husks want to stay basically intact).

Time to load up the kidling, methink (I almost always bring my daughter with me to the HBS, although usually to give the wife a break).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yea, I think I also vote for treking back to the shop to get it milled. Although, I do remember a post from way back where a poster swore he got acceptable results using a blender. He claimed he would load a few cups at a time and just pulse the blender till almost all of the grain was in smallish pieces, short of being flour.

Good luckin your dilemma.

Mike

Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you post your location in your profile, you may find out that someone one here lives closer to you than your HBS, and might grind it for you.

2nd......10

Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

That beer is going to be a round for a lot longer than it will take you to make the trip. You'd hate to regret using a poor process and cursing every time you opened a bottle.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 391 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Buy stuff for another batch while you're there (or a mill ) so it doesn't feel like a wasted trip.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Buy stuff for another batch while you're there (or a mill ) so it doesn't feel like a wasted trip.
Replace "stuff for another batch" with "a pair of shoes" and you sound just like the SWMBO.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
cregan13
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I usually order my grains precrushed from Northern Brewer, but I had a gift certificate so I went to the HBS. If anyone is local to Garner/Raleigh, NC with a grain mill you'd be doing me a solid. I've milled about 4 of the 10 pounds so far using a freezer bag and a bottle of wine. Honestly, I am new to this, but it seems to be working pretty well. If anything I think I might be over milling it rather than under milling it. It sure is dusty. It's going pretty fast, although I have a nice sweat going. I am kind of a meat head I guess. Any little 'tests' I can do to make sure it is milled enough? And what problems would over milling it cause?

Thanks.

Quick Reply