Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > how to chill faster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
MR. Zak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how to chill faster?

So I all grain once a week and have done so for three months now. I really need to get a chiller that can chill faster than the five gal. 25ft. submirsion chiller that I have now but I just cant justify the money. So what I'm wondering is does anyone have any ideas to chill faster with the chiller I have now? Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpfull.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
GeauxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try using a small submersible pond fountain pump connected to your chiller. Put it in a cooler with ice, and put the return hose back into the cooler. You can probablly pick one up for under $20.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Stir a lot, a whirlpool is best. You can also swish the chiller itself around in the wort. If you don't want to buy anything you could siphon ice-water through your chiller, though I'd think it'd be tricky.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A better chiller is justified. You will have a hard time cooling 10 to 12 gallons without a proper chiller. I use 50 feet of 1/2 inch copper.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I second the whirlpool and swirling the cooler around. Otherwise only the wort directly contacting the chiller gets chilled. You can in fact feel the water exiting the chiller get warmer as you stir.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As mentioned, if you don't already whirlpool while chilling, try it. It will likely have a huge impact on your chilling time.

If that doesn't help enough, you could always dismantle your IC (assuming it is 3/8" copper) and convert it to a counter-flow chiller. All it would cost you is a garden hose and some fittings.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how long does cooling take you? where in CO are you? my tap water is about 40F right now, and as long as i'm stirring, i can drop about a degree every couple seconds. it takes me no longer than 15 minutes to get to 60F.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

As above - you need to either move the wort around the chiller or move the chiller. I rock mine back and forth and get 6g from boiling to 70F in about 20min. Getting to 60F takes another 10 minutes. My tap water is about 55F year round. Some day I'll build Jamil's whirlpool chiller when I can justify a pump.

GT

Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
k rock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Zak
So I all grain once a week and have done so for three months now. I really need to get a chiller that can chill faster than the five gal. 25ft. submirsion chiller that I have now but I just cant justify the money. So what I'm wondering is does anyone have any ideas to chill faster with the chiller I have now? Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpfull.
For what it's worth, I use a soup chiller. A long, squared, clear plastic container filled w/ water & frozen. The local health inspector suggested it. Before that I used (if your looking for cost effective) a frozen 2 liter, or gal. milk container w/ a string tied to the neck or handle. I do have to put down this disclaimer... My wife says I'm kind of a hillbilly sometimes. Anybody else tried /heard of this?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #10
archmaker
Recipes 

I just recently tried something with my chiller and it seemed to help a little bit. I do what everyone says stirring and so forth, but I also have a way to split the water being used to chill and I use the some of the cold water out of the garden hose to go down the outside of my pot.

So I am not only chilling use my homemade IC, but I am also cooling the outside walls of the pot at the same time. I have two 1/4" ID hose that I just loop through the handles of the pot and let cascade down the side.

All my water goes in the yard so other than making a swamp I am not that worried.

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Quick Reply