Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to Carbonate in Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
erhamm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to Carbonate in Kegging

We finally moved our first all grain batch to keg and it's in the kegerator at 12PSI which is what I use when I get store bought kegs. Do I need to turn up the CO2? Shake the kegs? Leave it and drink next week?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Leave it, try in 5-7 days.

I have been messing around with my first 2 kegs now for a month and I wish I just kept it simple from the get-go.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 457

For next time, try getting a carb stone for your keg. Several places sell them, I have the .5 micron diffusion stone that AHS sells in all of my kegs. You can carb in a couple days at serving pressure. Works great.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
hoghead
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, Yes, or Yes

Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I usually set it and forget it for about 2 weeks at my serving pressure. I usually get good results but the diffusion stone would also work and faster too I'm sure. Also I have hooked the gas up on my liquid out post and that seems to work a few days faster. Just make sure you have check valves so you don't have beer go back into your regulator.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
erhamm
Recipes 

Thanks all. I've read so many different techniques. Someone said to add priming sugar which I thought was only for bottling.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhamm View Post
Thanks all. I've read so many different techniques. Someone said to add priming sugar which I thought was only for bottling.
No, you can use it for kegging too. After all, a keg is really just a big bottle if you think about it. The key is to add the priming sugar (usually about 2.5 ounces) and then let it sit at room temperature until it's carbed up, just as you do for bottles.

There are several ways to force carb. My best results come from sticking the keg in the fridge at 12 psi for 10 days or so, although it gets better for up to two weeks. But sometimes I'm in a huge hurry, so I'll set the regulator to 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge and reset at 12 psi. It's pretty well carbed in 3 days that way.

I'm not a fan of shaking, or of setting it higher for longer, as those tend to be the problem kegs (foaming, poor head retention, etc). If you're a patient person, 12 psi in the kegerator for 2 weeks is probably the "best" way to do it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can use priming sugar if you'd like. Lots of people naturally carb in the keg because they don't have extra CO2 lines, and they don't want to wait a week or two for it to force carb.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/stic...ng-faqs-43347/

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
tandom590
Recipes 

Priming sugar is another method of carbinating, but this is done at room temperature and takes around 2 weeks. If sone this way be sure to take a sample prior to placing in the fridge ao you know you have the right carbination level in the beer. This is because the yeast will go dormant once it is cooled down to fridge temp so no more carbination will take place. Force carbing is definitely quicker. I have seen no difference in taste either way.

Quick Reply