Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How Can I Prevent a Stuck Lauter? AND What About Chocolate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #11
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishkabibble
thanks for the tips. i have the steel braided sleeve of a dishwasher tube for a filter. i'm sure that'd get just as gummy as a slit manifold. rice hulls sound like a classic diy solution, and a great way to repurpose what is essentially garbage.

just to push the envelope on this--say i don't have rice hulls, say i have no access to them before this weekend's brew--could i pass the lautered wort through a muslin bag of flaked oats in my brew pot, or even leave a muslin bag of oats in the brew pot as it comes up to temperature?
The oats have very little diastatic power and so cannot convert themselves in the boil pot. In the scenario you described I would utilize the bag in the mash and pull it out before you lauter. It should convert and you will hopefully get rid of most that gummy mess. I have never done this but it would be something I would try.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
kylevester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Agreed. Give it a try. You should still get the mouthfeel from the oats with that method and the sugar that they're gonna offer is pretty low in any case, and overall it should be really close. Good idea!

Take good notes on your process and then tasting. Then next time you brew it and use a different method, compare the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishkabibble View Post
thanks for the tips. i have the steel braided sleeve of a dishwasher tube for a filter. i'm sure that'd get just as gummy as a slit manifold. rice hulls sound like a classic diy solution, and a great way to repurpose what is essentially garbage.

just to push the envelope on this--say i don't have rice hulls, say i have no access to them before this weekend's brew--could i pass the lautered wort through a muslin bag of flaked oats in my brew pot, or even leave a muslin bag of oats in the brew pot as it comes up to temperature?
I have the braided supply line in my mash tun as well and it is a classic works great lasts a long time. Rice hulls do the trick, and very cheaply.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
thanks for the tips. i have the steel braided sleeve of a dishwasher tube for a filter.?
I have wrapped my ss water supply line braid with voile cloth or boilled panty hose and I have never had a stuck sparge when using flaked oaks/corn/wheat. My runoffs are very clear during batch sparging.

I have even bought a white voile curtain from walmart for $5 to use for making BIAB sacks. The loop that the curtain rod slides through is perfect for sliding over my ss braid and tie the other end. Add a zip tie or hose clamp at the front and you are good to go.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

ishkabibble Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Appears everyone already answered your question but had to say love the screen name and the Schmutz comment

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
ishkabibble
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Appears everyone already answered your question but had to say love the screen name and the Schmutz comment
many thanx. (plenty more yiddish weird that came from) everybody's so crazy friendly on this forum, wow! it's almost like you've all been drinki--wait a second...

Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #17
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
STUCK...
I have an all-grain oatmeal stout on the horizon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing a stuck lauter. I'm adding 1# of flaked oatmeal to the basic Palmer stout recipe, and everyone everywhere cautions that I'm not going to be able to drain the dern tun. I've read that some people just give the drain line a quick windy, but I'd like to prevent having a pic of that somehow end up on a reputable forum.

CHOCOLATE...
I'd also like to flavor said stout with chocolate--does anyone have a tried/true ratio for chocolate to wort volume? And I assume I can just add some squares of baker's chocolate to the pot immediately after the boil?

(This chocolate business makes me nervous because I've had chocolate "break" before when being introduced to h2o, and I don't want a brew pot full of hot schmutz.)
For chocolate use powered cocoa, the lowest fat content you can find. I used Hershey's which is very low in fat content, 1 lb per 5 gallons added to the fermentor, I didn't boil it.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
ishkabibble Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
many thanx. (plenty more yiddish weird that came from) everybody's so crazy friendly on this forum, wow! it's almost like you've all been drinki--wait a second...
Didn't think about it to much till duboman brought it up and you confermed it. Haven't heard either term since I left the Jewish section of Brooklyn I was raised in. :-) Mazaltof or how ever you spell it.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider

Didn't think about it to much till duboman brought it up and you confermed it. Haven't heard either term since I left the Jewish section of Brooklyn I was raised in. :-) Mazaltof or how ever you spell it.
Oy Vey! It's Mazel Tov!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply