Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How Can I Prevent a Stuck Lauter? AND What About Chocolate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
ishkabibble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default How Can I Prevent a Stuck Lauter? AND What About Chocolate?

STUCK...
I have an all-grain oatmeal stout on the horizon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on preventing a stuck lauter. I'm adding 1# of flaked oatmeal to the basic Palmer stout recipe, and everyone everywhere cautions that I'm not going to be able to drain the dern tun. I've read that some people just give the drain line a quick windy, but I'd like to prevent having a pic of that somehow end up on a reputable forum.

CHOCOLATE...
I'd also like to flavor said stout with chocolate--does anyone have a tried/true ratio for chocolate to wort volume? And I assume I can just add some squares of baker's chocolate to the pot immediately after the boil?

(This chocolate business makes me nervous because I've had chocolate "break" before when being introduced to h2o, and I don't want a brew pot full of hot schmutz.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Rice hulls!

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
T-Dan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have had issues with slow draining tuns while using oatmeal too. luckily they have eventually drained, but it took some time. and that is with rice hulls included. I think I will skip the oatmeal in the future personally.

As for chocolate, I had very good luck using hershey's cocoa powder. 8 oz. gave a nice chocolate flavor to a chocolate milk stout I made. I added it with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Two items for you to think about.
1. BIAB. Never a stuck lauter or sparge even with lots of wheat or oats.
2. Chocolate malt gives a hint of chocolate flavor without adding real chocolate.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
ishkabibble
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

rice hulls? who the fart thinks of this stuff? who knew rice had hulls? what about unsalted, unroasted peanut shells?

maybe i'll just skip the whole thing as it seems like a pita. thanks for the help on this.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The size of the peanut shells is probably too big to help, unless you can crush them reliably to the size of grain husks.

As for rice having hulls, since it's a grain it has a husk. Whether you end up with a stuck lauter or not depends on your mash tun geometry and your manifold. I use a bazooka tube and have done mashes of 50% rye with no problem, had I used a slit manifold I probably would have gotten a stuck mash. One pound of oatmeal is unlikely to stick the mash, but 1/2 to a full pound of rice hulls will provide insurance and are cheap.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh, and I'm not sure what flavors you'll get from peanut shells, so better to stick with something we know is neutral.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Rice hulls worked really well for me when I was using a lot of rye in the mash... Haven't tried it with oats though.

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell
Rice hulls!
+1. They're cheap and impart no flavor. Helps to prevent stuck sparges. I just throw a couple handfuls in when I'm using something that will thicken the mash I.e. wheat, rye, oatmeal, flaked barley. They work.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
ishkabibble
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the tips. i have the steel braided sleeve of a dishwasher tube for a filter. i'm sure that'd get just as gummy as a slit manifold. rice hulls sound like a classic diy solution, and a great way to repurpose what is essentially garbage.

just to push the envelope on this--say i don't have rice hulls, say i have no access to them before this weekend's brew--could i pass the lautered wort through a muslin bag of flaked oats in my brew pot, or even leave a muslin bag of oats in the brew pot as it comes up to temperature?

Quick Reply