how is this for a black ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
i'm going to attempt a black ipa for my next brew, here is what i came up with..

13lbs pale malt
12oz carafa special 2
4oz crystal 80L

mash at 152 for 60 min

1oz galena FWH
1oz cenntenial 20min
1oz cenntential 10min
1oz german perle 5min
1oz citra FO

US-05

any thoughts and comments are welcome..

Ive done a number of black IPAs and here's my advice

use a full pound of your "darkening" malt if you want it really black. Carafa II is good but III would work best. I use midnight wheat most of the time.

add about 5-7% sugar to dry it out. I do this with all my IPAs but it especially helps black IPAs since you've got more unfermentables from the roasted malts.

also, mash a bit lower, maybe 150 to help dry it out. You want as close to an IPA body as possible. Not full bodied like a highly hopped stout

The hop schedule looks good but what's the perle doing in there? Its not a hop I would think of for an IPA, but I doubt it would hurt anything...just for a little bit of something different?

Oh and my favorite thing to do with IPAs is blast them at flameout with 4 oz or more hops and let it steep at just below boiling for 20 min or so. I usually do that in lieu of late hop additions. It really gives it a hoppy punch without any bite

Thanks for the input.. I will use a pound of carafa 2, i love perle as a late addition, but in this it will probably be hidden i guess.. I'll add some cascade with the citra at flameout also.

Oh and my favorite thing to do with IPAs is blast them at flameout with 4 oz or more hops and let it steep at just below boiling for 20 min or so. I usually do that in lieu of late hop additions. It really gives it a hoppy punch without any bite

I am on my last 5 22oz bottles of my red rye IPA I made with lots of mosaic and citra hops. So as a question of process those flameout additions. Do you shut the heat off, then just toss your additions in? Or do you shut off the heat, throw it on whatever you do to chill it, take a temp looking for like 180F and then throw the 'flameout' additions in?

I use a copper coil chiller that I have to walk to the laundry room on the other side of the house. So just curious about your process, the next time I make this, probably soon, I want to up the hop aroma and flavors (the beer finished dry around 1.010 so thats not an issue).

I am on my last 5 22oz bottles of my red rye IPA I made with lots of mosaic and citra hops. So as a question of process those flameout additions. Do you shut the heat off, then just toss your additions in? Or do you shut off the heat, throw it on whatever you do to chill it, take a temp looking for like 180F and then throw the 'flameout' additions in?

I use a copper coil chiller that I have to walk to the laundry room on the other side of the house. So just curious about your process, the next time I make this, probably soon, I want to up the hop aroma and flavors (the beer finished dry around 1.010 so thats not an issue).

I toss in the flameout additions, let it sit, and then start chilling. But if I'm really trying to get a hop punch, I'll add another post-flameout addition right before chilling. I figure the 2nd addition preserves more of the aroma so if I've got multiple types of hops the best smelling ones go last. I like doing this instead of massive dry hop additions because it seems to work better for me to maximize hop character.

I toss in the flameout additions, let it sit, and then start chilling. But if I'm really trying to get a hop punch, I'll add another post-flameout addition right before chilling. I figure the 2nd addition preserves more of the aroma so if I've got multiple types of hops the best smelling ones go last. I like doing this instead of massive dry hop additions because it seems to work better for me to maximize hop character.

I think I'll try this next time. My aroma additions were either 3 minute or 5 minute additions (my notes are not within reach while I am typing this so I can't 100% remember).

I figured I would've ended up with a bit more tropical fruit character from 2oz each of Citra and Mosaic that close to flame out. I think I'll move them both to pure flame outs and get my 70ish IBUs off the bittering charge and basically forget the 'aroma' late additions. Or do you still do some sub-10 minute additions for aroma?

(Sorry, I do not mean to derail)

I think I'll try this next time. My aroma additions were either 3 minute or 5 minute additions (my notes are not within reach while I am typing this so I can't 100% remember).

I figured I would've ended up with a bit more tropical fruit character from 2oz each of Citra and Mosaic that close to flame out. I think I'll move them both to pure flame outs and get my 70ish IBUs off the bittering charge and basically forget the 'aroma' late additions. Or do you still do some sub-10 minute additions for aroma?

(Sorry, I do not mean to derail)

Yeah, I hope the topic creator doesnt mind...I've got a good Black IPA recipe I can post to get back on track...

Lately I've been doing only one addition while the boil is going (Or zero if I do a FWH) and then going nuts at flameout. It works pretty well for my tastes. I don't like the jaw-clenching bitterness from stuff like Stone. Don't get me wrong, I'll happily drink it, but if I'm making the beer I like to maximize flavor and minimize bitterness.

Here's an example of it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/re-balanced-ipa-496003/
The result is an IPA that has enabled me to convince people actually do like IPAs

I'd add more crystal malt in there. I like to about 7-8% each medium crystal and blackprinz malt for my black IPAs. Mash low, around 150 for 90 minutes, and use a well attenuating yeast. Hops look fine, not sure about the Perle, but if you like Perle as a late addition, go for it. Also, adding some Cascade and Citra at flameout would be good too. Black IPA should be a balance between the malt bill (ie a subtle roast/caramel character) and the hops. It shouldn't be overly favoring one or the other. I like Simcoe, Chinook, and Cascade in my black IPA. Piney hops work the best, I think.
Cheers!

I vote for midnight wheat as well, though Ive havnt used it yet. My only black ipa Ive brewed turned out great, but I did things a bit different. I added the carafa III when I was recirculating my mash before I started my sparge. This was to help get the color, but not a lot of roasted notes. It worked well, but I could still detect more roastiness than I wanted. I later had a Black IPA that used midnight wheat and I thought it was amazing. Had a great flavor and very low/to no roasted flavor. Hence, my vote for midnight wheat. I will be using it next time

well i modified my recipe tell me what you all think..

13lbs pale malt
1lbs carafa special 2
.5lbs special B
.5lbs oats
.5lbs sugar

mash 148 for 60 min

1oz galena fwh
1oz cascade 15min
1oz chinook 10min
1oz citra 5min
1oz comet FO

US-05 yeast

Looks nice. 1 lb of carafa II should get you close to a black IPA. Id definitely reccomend a 10min mashout at 168F if you werent planning on it. It cements the sugar profile and really helps get the remaining color out of the dark malts, which you'll probably want in your case so you dont have a IBA.

I would mash lower 148-150 range. Skip the 20 min addition and add some more dry hops. I usually go with at least 3 oz for 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also recommend going up to a full pound of carafa III. I substituted carafa II before and need up with a brown ipa. It was still good just not the color I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just dry hopped last night with 2oz of Comet and plan to bottle monday... :ban: I haven't had a lot of success making IPA's and i'm on a big black ipa kick lately.. i have my fingers crossed on this one.

I just dry hopped last night with 2oz of Comet and plan to bottle monday... :ban: I haven't had a lot of success making IPA's and i'm on a big black ipa kick lately.. i have my fingers crossed on this one.

Comet is notoriously dank with dry hopping. I love it but I've heard some people don't like it. I made a chronic bipa with Columbus nelson somcoe and comet to finish off

I just bottled this batch last night and oh my did it smell amazing... i can't wait to try is in a few weeks..

All in all this beer has turned out really good. i would probably make a few changes when i rebrew but all in all i am impressed. I didnt get any "dank" from the comet.

Back