Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How bad was my mistake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Spot29er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How bad was my mistake?

I just finished my first all grain brew. I thought all was well until my final volume was about a half gallon off. I was doing a 6 gallon batch. Plus my gravity was a little high, I was hoping for 1.060 and ended up with 1.064. Can I just add some water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Not bad at all. Gratz on your first AG.

You can definitely add water, but I don't know how low the gravity will fall with just a half-gallon. I know there's a formula/calculator for figuring that out, but I can't find it right now. I'm thinking that will drop your gravity by around 0.003. Maybe someone else on here knows the formula.

I'm also assuming you haven't fermented the beer yet. Adding water afterwards can be a little tricky because of oxidation.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't add water. 1/2 gallon "off" on 6 gallon batch is nothing. It sounds like you were more efficient than planned, so congrats. You'll have to adjust the pre boil volume going forward based on your setup and the amount of hops used (hops absorb a lot of wort so if you're doing a heavily hopped IPA you'll need a little more pre boil volume). Good job!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

4 points is nothing, proceed as is IMO. I wouldn't make any adjustments with future brews until you repeat the same results several times.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes the magic of brewing is that if you are off in your volume you are off the exact number of gravity points that you will regain if you replace the wort. The wort concentrates as you boil and re-diluting it to the correct volume brings you back to the right gravity.

That is if you started at the correct pre-boil gravity to begin with.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply