New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How to achieve a dryer finish?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default based on the question

based on your question...I'd guess you are NOT doing All Grain....so the constant stream of "mash lower" answers don't mean much (if you are doing all grain you probably learned that already)

The best answer so far was a request for your recipe... The recipe could suggest: using a different yeast? using less specialty grains like crystal? Perhaps changing to Light or Pilsner LME or DME if you are using darker extracts

Process changes could include: using a yeast starter? adjusting or controlling fermentation temperature? allowing more time for fermentation? or the ever popular: mash at a lower temp.

A brief description of your process, and recipe...will provide much more informed answers from the crowd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
based on your question...I'd guess you are NOT doing All Grain....
To be fair, this is in the AG forum

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Obviously as others have said, temperature is important. You might also try getting a water report and upping your sulfate level with gypsum, if the report says you're low on sulfate (or perahps not just if you're low...some like their sulfate up at 300ppm).
+1 on that sentiment. Sulfate can have a profound effect on the drying quality of the finish. If the brewer's water has low sulfate and they are not enhancing it for brewing, then that could be an issue.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedly View Post
To be fair, this is in the AG forum
whoops! Yes, I failed to see the forum category. I was reading new posts.

Without knowing anything about the OP's process or recipe....I will still give my own 2 cents:

My preference in almost every style is to err on the dryer end of the acceptable range. To give myself a little margin of error, I calculate my recipes assuming the low end of attenuation for the yeast.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have listed my most recent IPA recipe below. I just started doing all grain for the ability to better tweak recipes like this. I added some sugar to the recipe listed below (about 3 cups if I recall). The OG was 1.062, and it finished at 1.01. This recipe turned out well (it took forever to bottle condition) but I wish it was dryer. Thanks to all who have lended advice to a newbie when it comes to all grain brewing! Cheers!

10lbs Rahr 2-row Pale
.75 Belgian Carmel Pils
.25 Briess Carmel

1oz Chinook 60min
.5oz chinook at 10min
.5oz at 1min

Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The good news is that it will be very simple to make a drier beer -- simply use less caramel / crystal malt. 10% is really high; I'd never go that high myself. But isnt this kind of obvious? Just wondering why you didn't immediately conclude this.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
The good news is that it will be very simple to make a drier beer -- simply use less caramel / crystal malt. 10% is really high; I'd never go that high myself. But isnt this kind of obvious? Just wondering why you didn't immediately conclude this.
I was not aware of that information until I posted the original question, but am happy that it will be an easy fix. Is this true for all adjuncts, or just the two listed in the recipe? This was my first all grain attempt (I have made a couple others since) and just ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3875 Times on 2830 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
I was not aware of that information until I posted the original question, but am happy that it will be an easy fix. Is this true for all adjuncts, or just the two listed in the recipe? This was my first all grain attempt (I have made a couple others since) and just ordered a kit from Northern Brewer. Thanks!
If you like drier pale ales, then leaving out (or greatly reducing!) the caramel malt will help. I like some pale ales with 5% or so crystal malt, but if I use more crystal malt I increase the bittering hops to help balance it. Balance is really the key.

I made a beer today with 1 pound of crystal and 11 pounds of base malt. I mashed at 150, and hopped it up. It should finish at 1.008-1.009.

If you find that you are finishing at 1.010, but the beer still has a sweet finish, the first thing I would do is eliminate carapils and reduce crystal malt. Use a different specialty grain- .25 pound of victory is nice. Use some flaked wheat for head retention. Mash at 150 for 60-75 minutes, and use enough bittering hops to balance the beer. That should really help.

For an IPA, more hops would be helpful as well as eliminating or greatly reducing the crystal/cara malts. For an IPA, I might go something like:
11 pounds US two row
.25-.5 pound victory malt (or amber malt, or toasted malt, or aromatic malt, or some crystal if you must)
.5 pound flaked wheat (for head retention)
1 pound corn sugar
1 ounce bittering hops 60 minutes
1 ounce flavor hops 15 minutes
1 ounce aroma hops 5 minutes
dryhop with 1-2 ounces

Use a very neutral US yeast, like WLP001 or S05 and ferment at 65 degrees.
Nike_Eayrs Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs

being brand new to all grain, you'll find there's quite a bit to learn about grains, so you'll want to do some reading. Big picture, you have base malts (2 row or 6 row) that make up the bulk of your grist, then crystal/dextrine/caramel/cara malts which have a lot of unfermentables thus adding to sweetness. I keep these 0-5% but up to 10% if I really want a sweet beer like a pumpkin beer. Then there are sort of hybrid malts like Munich and Vienna that have characteristics of both. Then odd ball unmalted stuff like roasted barley. Suffice it to say, there's lots to learn!

But this is critical stuff, because poor recipes is, in my experience, the leading cause of bad batches.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #20
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In addition to grain bills with less caramel, mash temp, some simple sugars if needed, and sufficient healthy yeast, on also should be sure to properly aerate or oxygenate the wort prior to pitching. While I am not impressed by the yeast books assertion that pure o2 is needed, e data presented there does show a 1-2 degree Plato difference, which will definitely be the difference between a sweet and dry beer.

Quick Reply