The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How is 70% efficiency for my 3rd AG brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
alpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default How is 70% efficiency for my 3rd AG brew?

I had a major failure of my thermometer during the beginning of the batch sparge. It was reading 15 degrees too low. I didn't realize the error until I had already batched about 1 gallon of sparge water.

I just happened to double check with a digital thermometer and it read much lower than my primery thermometer. I stopped the sparging, triple and quadruple checked with 2 other thermometers and it turns out my primary HLT thermometer is jacked. I had to pause for several minutes to bring it back up to temp. Other than that, the process went according to plan.

Do you think 70% is decent, considering what happened and my fairly rudimentary equipment? My MLT is one of those 40 qt Rubbermaid deals with the mesh supply hose and I sparged about 1 gallon per 10 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

70% is good, if you arente milling your own grain, that is probably as good as it will get.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
Wables
Recipes 

Ditto. LHBS crush = 70ish% efficiency...or worse. Do the math on the potential savings, and buy yourself a barley crusher regardless of the potential payback.

Wables

Beer-
On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Secondary:Honey Blonde
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde

Wine-
Primary-
Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)

Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Cool, I am using AHS milled. Why does crushing my own grain increase efficiency?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can adjust the rollers and crush the grain finer then the LHBS usually does. Beware of a stuck sparge though if you crush too fine.

GT

Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wables View Post
Ditto. LHBS crush = 70ish% efficiency...or worse. Do the math on the potential savings, and buy yourself a barley crusher regardless of the potential payback.
My LHBS has a barley crusher for us to use and it works great. It works so good that I probably won't buy one. I'll just use theirs!

Quick Reply