Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hot spots in Mash tun?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Hot spots in Mash tun?!?!

I was mashing away 10 gallons of Centennial Blonde. After doughing in, my temp was 148 instead of 150. So I took my trusty heat stick and used it to increase the temp to 150 or so. Took a lot longer than I thought, though.

I stirred a bit, then let it mash away. After about half an hour I noticed the temp had risen to 152. I decide to release a bit of heat by stirring.

Well, hot damn, as I stirred the temp soared almost to 160. I used some ice and stirring to bring it back down. It was at 144 before I knew it and I had to use the heat stick again.

I'm wondering if my thermometer is malfunctioning or if I need to do a better job stirring. Things is, I try to be cautious of bumping the thermometer stem too much. It's mounted thru a drilled stopper and I once bumped it and it began leaking and I had to stop and get it seated right again.

So what do you think? Hot spots? Poor stirring? Faulty thermometer?

Can anyone recommend a digital thermometer to me? When I'm trying to really dial in the temp the dial thermometer makes it rough on my eyes.

Hope the beer turns out!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

definitely not stirring enough.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here ya go...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...FeFM5QodijTMLg

I have used this thermometer for 4 batches now, and I love it!!! And yes, I still have hot spots in my Mash. Stir and stir and stir. You'll still get them.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I like the thermometer, but price is steep for me.

I'm thinking of going RIMS in part because it's damn hard to stir a square mash tun with SS braid and 4.5" thermocouple sticking into it.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 395 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As said above, stir more and wait a few minutes for the temp to stabilize. I never bothered mounting a thermometer, as I find it helpful to move it around the tun to check several spots for consistent readings. I have several of the inexpensive digital sticks available most anywhere and they seem pretty darn accurate.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
ian-atx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stir more. Also if possible use another thermometer to take readings around the mash. Also what I usually do is dough in a few degrees hotter than what I should, as it will lose heat as I am stirring. I do infusion mashes in a cooler, so I dont direct fire the tun.

Also, just got a thermapen as a gift...looking forward to trying that out in the mash.

If you don't want to drop the cash on a thermapen, the taylor brand of digital instant read thermometers are pretty good. You can usually find them at target. usually 10-20 bucks.

Quick Reply