Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hot Break Reabsorbtion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
jrhammonds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hot Break Reabsorbtion?

I brewed an All-Grain Helles yesterday and was quite dissapointed to see how hazy, cloudy, milky the finished, boiled wort was going into the carboys. I do a mash recirc with a false bottom and a march pump for the last 15 minutes of the mash. Once clear, I did a 45 minute fly sparge (gravity fed into the boil kettle, I bypass the pump on the sparge to allow for gravity extraction). I had really clear wort going into the kettle. Then, after 15 minutes of the boil, a fantastic hot break: Egg Drop Soup Bigtime!

After 90 minutes I begin chilling (I have a 50ft. Jamil-style immersion chiller with Whirlpool) and was able to get below 90F really quickly, and then down to 50 with an iced pre-chiller. I assumed that the cloudy/milkiness was from the whirlpool and trub still in suspension, but after a 15 minute rest post whirlpool, I had a hazy, cloudy, floury, wort into the carboys? Ideas? I did add yeast nutrient about 15 minutes before flameout? Could that have given the haze? Thoughts?

Primary 1: Foreign Extra Stout
Secondary: Summer 08 Cider
Bottled: Imperial Red Rye Ale, Bourbon Oak Strong Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In my experience, the clarity of the wort going into the fermenter doesn't really correlate with the clarity of the finished beer. If you had a good hot break and a good cold break, gravity should drop everything else out eventually.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1080 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
In my experience, the clarity of the wort going into the fermenter doesn't really correlate with the clarity of the finished beer. If you had a good hot break and a good cold break, gravity should drop everything else out eventually.
+1, also using Whirlfolc makes a huge difference for me at least. It helps to coagulate the protiens and drop them out of suspension.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
jrhammonds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hear ya; just a little concerned on this one, it seemed extra milky/cloudy. It was my first time using the whirlpool, so I was unable to detect a cold break given the continually agitated wort. We'll see after fermentation I suppose. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on Yeast Nutrient contributing some haze?

Primary 1: Foreign Extra Stout
Secondary: Summer 08 Cider
Bottled: Imperial Red Rye Ale, Bourbon Oak Strong Ale

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeast nutrient is generally a bunch of protein (often in the form of dead yeast hulls). I wouldn't be surprised at all if that clouded up a brew a bit. It should drop out on the same type of timescale that dormant yeast does.

Quick Reply